Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 6.5CM vs 222-50

Default Re: 6.5CM vs 222-50

thank you Pikes. which app have you used for these?

User

A quick Google with some calculators will also help:

22-250: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Chart+

6.5CM: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Chart+

It's important to note the 6.5CM might fall quicker, but remains supersonic for further, and that's what you want. Bullets generally destabilize the second they break the sound barrier down, and for the 22-250 that happens at around 850yards according to the above tables. The 6.5CM is still doing 1,625 FPS at that distance. Also take a look at the energy of the two bullets. Yes, they're not ideal bullets, but I don't have the time to manually program the BCs and stuff in there for now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Also look into the 6mm Creedmore

I have had some great success in my RPR with both grouping and long range

*sorry to add another calibre
    Valid point though, for 500m 6mm CM would do fine. Out to 1.5km not so much. When we did the long range course in March I was shooting 130gb Berger VLD's in my 6.5CM, and they were being thrown around by the wind. The others were shooting 140's (better), but the only person to hit the mile was using a 147gn ELD-M in hit RPR.. OP mentioned 400 - 500m, so this is a bit of a moot point, but something to keep in the back of the head.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Valid point though, for 500m 6mm CM would do fine. Out to 1.5km not so much. When we did the long range course in March I was shooting 130gb Berger VLD's in my 6.5CM, and they were being thrown around by the wind. The others were shooting 140's (better), but the only person to hit the mile was using a 147gn ELD-M in hit RPR.. OP mentioned 400 - 500m, so this is a bit of a moot point, but something to keep in the back of the head.
    I dont consider myself a long range expert but shot the LRP open shoot a month ago. Rifle performed really well out to 660m, hitting the 2MOA gong 4/4. Past that im sure it was my own fault and the bad conditions that flared up in the afternoon. All this with the rifle only having 50 rounds through it.

But I digress. Digby brings an important point to the argument on what other rifles the OP has. 6.5 might be a better all rounder if only getting one rifle.

After some consideration a few years ago and getting advice on here, I came to the consensus that 243 is better than 22-250 for most applications.

6mm creedmore might also not be the best if OP is not near major towns and the components are quite pricey.

And dont forget the people on the range that will try tell you its "6.5 creedmore, there's no such thing as a 6mm creedmore"

User

For shots within your point blank range, 22-250 will fare better in terms of trajectory, CM will be better in terms of wind drift. If you zero rifle at +-230m, you will not shoot higher than 5cm above POA and will shoot 5cm below POA at +-265m for the 22-250 with 55gr bullet. CM will be zero'ed at +-190m, dipping below 5cm at +-220m with 140gr bullets. At 220m, CM will have half the wind drift of the 22-250. This will increase as you shoot further.

Recoil on 22-250 will be slightly less.

My choice would be CM as wind a lot harder to compensate for, especially while hunting. Any distance beyond 265m you are going to be reliant on an accurate rangefinder and holdover/dialing anyway to ensure elevation is spot on.

A lot of the Karoo farmers use 22-250's as the flatter trajectories help during pest control(usually done at night), or culls. They can often pick days to shoot when wind isnt a problem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    But I digress. Digby brings an important point to the argument on what other rifles the OP has. 6.5 might be a better all rounder if only getting one rifle.

After some consideration a few years ago and getting advice on here, I came to the consensus that 243 is better than 22-250 for most applications.
    For Karoo springbok hunting, something like a 204 Ruger might also be a good choice, and more available than 6mm CM. It's a caliber I wouldn't mind in my safe to complement my 6.5CM. TStone also needs to comment here, he has high praise for the 6.5CM for everything up to sub-adult eland.

The .22-250 is fine for culling springbok (with a spotlight from a bakkie) but not at 400-500m. For hunting springbok, especially out to 400-500m the 6.5 Creedmoor will be a much better choice, despite its more curved trajectory.

Keep in mind that a springbok at 500m is a challenging target from field positions (including off a bakkie), especially in windy conditions. Personally I do not think that 500m, or even 400m, shots are realistic for an average hunter.

At distances further than 300m you are going to need to adjust for bullet drop (either by dialing or using a graduated reticle), no matter what caliber you are shooting. The 6.5 will be more forgiving as far as wind drift is concerned. There are better springbok calibers than the 6.5 Creedmoor and much better springbok calibers than the .22-250.

TStone, i see you are from Gariep. where abouts are you? i know a couple of the guys in your direction

Gariep as in the river. I am on the river between the Gariep dam and Vanderkloof dam.

User

22250 is my go-to springbok rifle. 75gr Berger VLD at 3450 fps is great on the plains and I have taken many springbok with it up to +\-350m. Dak skote heeldag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2