Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Racking a pistol using front serrations

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    In my opinion the dumbest thing out for a number of reasons. Firstly it endangers hand in two ways.Puts your hand closer to muzzle and over ejection port. Damm easy to sweep hand moving it just too far forward, plus you could get a slamfire hangfire or some other reason for the gun to blow up your hand when gases and or shrapnel exit the ejection port. There was a thread some time back with a very nasty pic of the result of a hand over the ejection port.Secondly it obscures your view of the ejection port and ability to more quickly identify a malfunction and the type thereof, as opposed to merely being out of rounds. Thirdly it is the potential cause of a malfunction in instances of a round or case bouncing off your hand and back into the ejection port. This is just a stupid and unnecessary risk to be tacticool. This needs to be called out for what is.
    Have you tried both methods in all the scenarios you’ve mentioned or is it merely a theory? And how does the shot timer read under the different methods?

User

In my opinion the dumbest thing out for a number of reasons. Firstly it endangers hand in two ways.Puts your hand closer to muzzle and over ejection port. Damm easy to sweep hand moving it just too far forward, plus you could get a slamfire hangfire or some other reason for the gun to blow up your hand when gases and or shrapnel exit the ejection port. There was a thread some time back with a very nasty pic of the result of a hand over the ejection port.Secondly it obscures your view of the ejection port and ability to more quickly identify a malfunction and the type thereof, as opposed to merely being out of rounds. Thirdly it is the potential cause of a malfunction in instances of a round or case bouncing off your hand and back into the ejection port. This is just a stupid and unnecessary risk to be tacticool. This needs to be called out for what is.
    Wow. Just wow

That out of battery detonation was on show clear, dude cupped his hand over ejection port to catch the round. Said round hit the ejector just right to go off

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    Have you tried both methods in all the scenarios you’ve mentioned or is it merely a theory? And how does the shot timer read under the different methods?
    Yeah, I'v done it a few hundred times under competition duress and its never been an issue.

We think too much therefore we know our shit?

User

I LOVE the front serrations feature on a firearm. I think they’re a game changer. But I agree with you, if something is deemed “higher risk”, maybe it’s wiser to focus on a simpler, “safer” technique.

User

Things go wrong in so many different ways. Just because something has been done a certain way for may years does not make it the best solution.
    I will use the fastest way to get the gun working again. I am by no means the most experienced shooter on this forum, but i have a fair amount of rounds down range. Of which my first 10k reloads was with Muron primers and converted berdan brass. I got really proficient at clearing stoppages. Also got good at making better ammo...
    What it comes down to is training. If you are inexperienced and untrained you will most probably do thing that could get you hurt.
    In a match or defensive situation a stoppage is a time killer. Your first priority is to get the gun working asap 0.2sec is a long time if you are fighting for every 0.1sec.
    As to point 2 and 3... your doing it wrong. As a right-handed shooter your thumb should be in front of the ejection port for a quick rack. so no squishy bits over the port...

Edit. on re reading your post I think point 2 and 3 are more relevant to a overhand rack, where you rack the slide with your thumb on the left of the slide and fingers on the port side. this needs to be done right as there are a number of things that can go wrong. Most prominently is people sweeping their support side elbow with the gun and also turning the gun to the support side and possibly up range.

Default Racking a pistol using front serrations

This is the position it was racked if anyone wants to see

User

Quote Originally Posted by SlimA View Post

This is the position it was racked if anyone wants to see
    That’s stupid.

But that’s not using the front serrations.

And it’s not a challenge to rack from the front with no extra risk. Like with anything it requires training and practise.

I rack from the front. And see zero difference between it being for Timmy purposes or Gaymer ones.

Yeah, my point exactly. He went for the front serrations (which he gets right in the following attempt) but he stuffed it up and had to reposition his hand and try it again.

I suppose as you say that the more you practice the more efficient you will become- and that you just need to practice a lot under pressure so that you don’t mess it up

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

When reloading I don’t use se slide release. The reasin is that I have smallish hands, don’t want an extended slide release as it hooks more easily on clothing and have muscle problems in my hand, so depressing the slide stop is painfull, slow etc.

So, I insert the mag and then release the slide by my weak hand but with my hand over the gun and seeeping it backwards. Pistol stay close on target and to get mybweak hamd on the grip is also quick. I do then sweep my weak hand everytime as it is coming from the mag insertion to the over the pistol position. At least a few fingers get swept. I have never been DQ’d as the sweeping is on a pistol with open slide I pressume or SO,s just don’t notice the sweep of at least my pinky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2