Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Hunting bullets for a .303

I have a 303 Mark 4 II. An old kadette/training rifle that has been scoped. I got it with a bunch of old military FMJ ammo. I also bought some PMP brown box to hunt with. I don't have great expectations of accuracy. 2MOA is what I hoped for. After a trip to the range, the mil surplus rounds give me about 2-3MOA and the PMP brown box spread all over the A4 target at 100m, so I can not use it for a living thing!

Anybody got any ideas what I can use to hunt with, (bought ammo or reloads) that will give some semblance of accuracy?

User

Default Re: Hunting bullets for a .303

Are the mil surplus bullets a different weight to the PMP bullets?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Are the mil surplus bullets a different weight to the PMP bullets?
    Military rounds are usually 174 grain, but they are longer than standard 174 grain PMP as they have an Aluminium tip vs all lead of standard PMP.

Maybe check if the cartridges have the same COL.
    Might be that your chamber throat are a bit shot out, that is why you get better groups with the longer bullets?

Banned

PPU 180gr. It should be scarce but it works with Enfield 303's. At least, I have never had a complaint from anyone who listened to the advice.

User

My old stock standard 303 with a scope fitted does best with Sierra Pro Hunters in 180gr, sent forward behind 40.5gr of S335 at a speed of around 2,500 FPS if I remember my numbers correctly now. It's not sub-MOA accuracy, but to around 200m I'll take comfortable broadsides on anything.

User

Do you reload? I will give you a recipe, but you will need to find S335

38,5gr of S335 behind a 174gr PMP Softpoint gave very good results for me. I've had three Lee Enfield's, two of which gave 1" groupings at 100m. The other was a Boer War Long Lee with a dark bore, but gave palm sized groupings a@ 100m.

Keep in mind that a scope and scope mountings can also cause trouble.

User

I tend to agree with Toxxyc on the Sierra Pro Hunters 180gr, but loaded them with S355.....please don't quote me on this but I think it was 43 gr.
    If you spend some money on them they can do great and could expect sub MOA if it is in decent shape. Best is to take them to a gunsmith that understands 303's, normally have the crown re-done and de-copper. He can also check your head spacing.
    Sporterizing and free floating the barrel can also have great results.
    Surplus military ammo gave me 4"+ groupings at 100m.
    Some 303's like 150 gr bullets (a lot of No.4's I came across) and others do better with 180 gr's (mostly No.1 Mk3's) so you will have to see what it likes. They definitely do not like to be shot hot and flyers can be expected.
    After some tinkering, free floating, polishing the cams on the trigger and a "competition"/inverted crown job my old No.1 Mk3 managed 18mm groups with 180gr Sierra Pro Hunter hand loads, and even had cut shots with 174 gr PMP's as well as Sellier & Bellot.

User

From my limited use of a 303, I can say the following:

Many of the ex-mil 303 rifles have barrels in poor condition. Mine did too.

The 174 and 180gn bullets will usually shoot better than the 150gn versions from a worn barrel.

Worn and pitted barrels tend to foul faster than shiny, smooth barrels, so don't spare the copper solvent.

If you reload, reduce the loads a tad. This gives better bullet performance and case life.

I have shot the following factory ammo: PMP174gn SP, Remington 180gn Core Lokt and Highland (PPU) 180gn SP. All 3 performed well on game. The Highland (PPU) is possibly the best of the 3.

I like to reload 174 or 180gn bullets with 38gn of S335. This is good for about 2350-2400 fps and performs better on game at bushveld ranges than the factory loads at 2550 fps will.

User

All very useful information

That's why I love Gunsite, so many knowledgeable and generous people in one place. One of the 303 gurus in our club once mentioned that the .303's are very sensitive to neck tension. I reckon the neck tension on mil surplus ammo is a lot higher than PMP off the press. Also, would I be correct in assuming that the neck tension would be higher with a larger bullet?

User

If by larger you mean having a caliber size of more than .311,then yes,neck tension would be higher.
    If you mean larger by the bullet being heavier in weight,hence longer,then no increase in neck tension would be present......provided....the bullets are seated the same depth.Most bullet weights in the 303 are held by the full lengh of the neck,so no difference in tension.
    I think that some of the mill cases are sealed with a type of waterproofing which could very well increase neck tension. A heavy bullet will also require a bit more pressure than a light bullet to get started on its way out the case.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast