Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned

Default Re: Hunting bullets for a .303

BSA 1918 - re barreled 1948 Mod 1 Mark 3
    before you try all kinds of loads bullet combo's, check the rifle and barrel out. There is one very interesting article on accusing the Lee on the net called just that, and then a million other articles of varying help.
    Insure the stock is absolutely solidly fitted, put it over knee at rear stock insert and see if there is movement if so fix it. SOLID. check recoil lugs are not softened from oil or compressed by time. Free up the front stock and bed correctly at lugs chamber. Remove pressure points if any. Get bolt headspace checked and fit correct bolt face if needed.Try measure bore - slugging is easier than you think.
    Determine correct bullet - 311 or 312 (not going deeper here).
    You may get lucky on 150 gr bullets but 174 up is usually the diet, I see no harm in just using .312 from start.
    The round nose bullet by Hornady 174gr R/N seems to be a common go to problem solving bullet. I know the soft Sierra's must also work because they are so recommended, but did not get to try as the Hornady's fixed my issues.
    neck size NECK SIZE.
    Do not resort to drinking - alcohol will not fix a Lee, most frustrating rifle I have owned with a come try again factor beyond measure. If rifles were family pet dogs then the Lee is the family cat - tail up check my naught do not tell me what to do, oh by the way come here and feed me. Lee's are like cats -fucked up selfish lovely cuddly cats.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    gerrie.....Your shot dropped more than you realised? Where were you intending to hit the Hartebeest?
    I underestimated the distance. The 303 drops fast over 250m. Normaly i would not go over 250m. I was aiming for the vitals.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

I do not do full resize. I took a full resize die and machined the top of to create a body die. I use this to resize the body slightly so that it chambers easily. Then i neck size it. On the lee die i polished about 2 thou of the decaping pin to increase neck tension.

I also agree on the. 312'' bullets. The rest does not work that well.

There is an old guy that wrote a book on the 303. He also has some youtube videos. Get that book it shows all the issues. One big b8g issue is the correct pressure arround the trigger guard. He goes in depth into this. Glass bedding is also different to normal rifles and they also bed the trigger guard. There is also a host of issues on the 2 part stock. Get the book

Go to this site. http://www.303british.com/id6.html

Banned

Banned

[QUOTE=gerrieheath;1311994]I do not do full resize. I took a full resize die and machined the top of to create a body die. I use this to resize the body slightly so that it chambers easily.
    just neck size it
    care full of sizing decapping pin down and going to 312 bullets

Lee state in there documentation that you can take of 1 to 2 thou

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3