Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: Extra ammunition for a walk & stalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    This doesn’t make sense???

How do you load the rifle without loading it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably meant not fully closed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    This doesn’t make sense???

How do you load the rifle without loading it?

If you hold/pull the trigger back at the same time as you lock the bolt down it does not reset the firing pin. This means if you pull the trigger, nothing will happen even though there is a round in the chamber. I did this for a long time as it seemed safer than relying on the safety. However the concern is now you have the firing pin resting against the primer, meaning if you drop the gun it can/ probably will go off.

So I now either carry my rifle loaded with safety (my safely “locks” in place so not easily released by mistake) on or with absolutely nothing in the chamber depending on the situation and who I am with. By far most important is keeping the barrel pointed in the right direction....

User

Default Extra ammunition for a walk & stalk?

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerFish View Post
    If you hold/pull the trigger back at the same time as you lock the bolt down it does not reset the firing pin. This means if you pull the trigger, nothing will happen even though there is a round in the chamber. I did this for a long time as it seemed safer than relying on the safety. However the concern is now you have the firing pin resting against the primer, meaning if you drop the gun it can/ probably will go off.

So I now either carry my rifle loaded with safety (my safely “locks” in place so not easily released by mistake) on or with absolutely nothing in the chamber depending on the situation and who I am with. By far most important is keeping the barrel pointed in the right direction....

This is what I thought he might be getting at

Firing pin pressed hard against a primer under spring tension is not a great idea.

@TStone did some experiments in another thread, when dropped in this condition it went bang!

I agree completely with your last point

User

5 in the rifle
    5 in a cartridge wallet in my backpack
    I have personally never needed all 10 on a day's hunt but rather have them and not need them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    5 in the rifle
    5 in a cartridge wallet in my backpack
    I have personally never needed all 10 on a day's hunt but rather have them and not need them.
    QFTT

User

The average hunter will very seldom need more than the contents of his rifle's magazine (assuming his rifle has a magazine) for a day's hunting. The problem comes when an animal is wounded. This often lead to shots being taken, in desperation, which would normally not be taken. Running shots, shots at normally unacceptable ranges and shots at angles which would not normally be considered acceptable or ethical. I do this kind of shooting much too often and yet, every now and then, I shoot a rifle dry twice before a wounded animal is down.

This is certainly not normal and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth when it does happen, but it is a reality of hunting. Rather carry too much ammo than running out. Having said this, you certainly don't need to look like a Mexican bandolero when you head out into the bush.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5