Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bee -keeping hobby- any members beekeepers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Al View Post
    Busy doing the same. I had a feral hive that was on my property for about 3 years and decided to move them into a Langstroth hive. It looked good for about 3 weeks but they were only cleaning the combs. I think they were swarming already and I was late. Now I am trying to attract another swarm and using a lure wipe and feed and the activity is looking good. Going into winter I have no expectations. I did harvest about 6 jars of honey from the feral hive though. The folks at Beeware in Centurion have been a great help
    I hope to do the same and harvest a wild bunch

Banned

Gert, try the flowhive system so you'll be able to maximize the harvest of honey with the least amount of effort

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Gert, try the flowhive system so you'll be able to maximize the harvest of honey with the least amount of effort
    BBT, if you tell me to clean a rifle/shoot it , it is things I do understand...but about flowhive system I do not have a clue what you are talking about, but I really want to learn about these terminology used in Bee-keeping ..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    BBT, if you tell me to clean a rifle/shoot it , it is things I do understand...but about flowhive system I do not have a clue what you are talking about, but I really want to learn about these terminology used in Bee-keeping ..
    I'll post some info here when I get a chance

User

BBT have you seen the price of those things?

i recall a chap in Durban making a knock off actually now that I think about it.

User

This will be the most dangerous job in the world for me, one sting and I am a gonner. hahaha

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    BBT have you seen the price of those things?

i recall a chap in Durban making a knock off actually now that I think about it.
    Yup, I did. I was actually thinking about bringing one down from China. Alibaba has it.
    Or alternatively downloading the schematics from the net and getting the pieces laser cut.
    The only problem I foresee is where to set them up.
    I stay in the suburbs with small land and even smaller gardens, these would ideally need to be setup on a farm or smallholding.
    I wouldn't mind sharing the honey with someone in return for using their land

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Yup, I did. I was actually thinking about bringing one down from China. Alibaba has it.
    Or alternatively downloading the schematics from the net and getting the pieces laser cut.
    The only problem I foresee is where to set them up.
    I stay in the suburbs with small land and even smaller gardens, these would ideally need to be setup on a farm or smallholding.
    I wouldn't mind sharing the honey with someone in return for using their land
    Which bring me to this question:
    I will be setting the bee-hives in the back of my premises, it would be enclose with walls and a roof ..most of the honey will be harvest by the bees from gardens in my surroundings..what quality honey can I expect?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Which bring me to this question:
    I will be setting the bee-hives in the back of my premises, it would be enclose with walls and a roof ..most of the honey will be harvest by the bees from gardens in my surroundings..what quality honey can I expect?
    This will depend upon which plants are to be found in your neighbours gardens. A few years ago I had a few lemon trees in my garden. A swarm of bees moved in, they eventually became problematic and I had the swarm removed. The chap who removed the swarm gave my all the honey. The honey was very pale in colour with a distinct lemony smell, but very tasty.

User

Reading up on bee-keeping as a hobby, I noticed the following: ''keep your bee-hives away from chickens and horses they hate the smell of these animals"
    Can someone elaborate on this statement??How would people know that bees hate the smell of chickens and horses??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast