Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Smile Bee -keeping hobby- any members beekeepers?

Good day to all members. Due to a constant lack of getting bees wax I decided to start doing bee-keeping for myself to harvest bees wax...I will build my own bee-hives, catch my own wild swarm of bees to start my bee-keeping hobby..the first time harvesting will be done by asking another bee-keeper to assist in the harvest...I would like any comments, opinions, suggestions in this regards..

User

Default Re: Bee -keeping hobby- any members beekeepers?

Busy doing the same. I had a feral hive that was on my property for about 3 years and decided to move them into a Langstroth hive. It looked good for about 3 weeks but they were only cleaning the combs. I think they were swarming already and I was late. Now I am trying to attract another swarm and using a lure wipe and feed and the activity is looking good. Going into winter I have no expectations. I did harvest about 6 jars of honey from the feral hive though. The folks at Beeware in Centurion have been a great help

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Good day to all members. Due to a constant lack of getting bees wax I decided to start doing bee-keeping for myself to harvest bees wax...I will build my own bee-hives, catch my own wild swarm of bees to start my bee-keeping hobby..the first time harvesting will be done by asking another bee-keeper to assist in the harvest...I would like any comments, opinions, suggestions in this regards..
    I know a bee keeper in Secunda area, if you are interested I can see if I can find his number for you?

User

Gert, when you get to the stage, I may have a wild swarm for you, you'll just have to come and see if they can be taken out successfully.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

User

Gert,

We have 25 hives at present, let me know if you want to come have a look and see how it all works, might be worthwhile?

User

Members, you really are great bunch of friends...I thank you all kindly..I will get starting in building the boxes..and do all the woodwork required for keeping bees....I will upload photos of my progress so you can give me advice..I will be having a lot of mentors on our forum..man, this is great..I can not wait to start with this new hobby..

User

Had a couple of hives in my garden for years now. Suggestion: keep your woodwork to standard Langstroth sizes. It makes life easier to keep to a standard.
    Camo is also a beekeeper.
    I second Fat Al's comment above. Beeware are helpful.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Had a couple of hives in my garden for years now. Suggestion: keep your woodwork to standard Langstroth sizes. It makes life easier to keep to a standard.
    Camo is also a beekeeper.
    I second Fat Al's comment above. Beeware are helpful.
    Thank you Epsilon, another beekeeper suggest I do not use ten racks but eight so there is more space in the box for the bees to fill the racks???

I am going to place the bee-hives in a secluded corner of my garden and will fence the bee-hives in with a roof , they will be away from any thing that moves around my house..I am keeping a few chickens for movement/life on my premises but they will not be able to come near the hives , since it will be fenced off completely...so no interference from any animal with two or four feet ....I will place the hives about six hundred millimeters above the ground...

User

Gert,

I assume you know about entrance/exit direction and such?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Gert,

I assume you know about entrance/exit direction and such?
    Southpaw, please explain these terms and what it meant in beekeeping to me??
    I will be setting up my bee hive in my back part of my yard, where the adjacent cement wall around my property converge..away from any animals/chickens ,,the whole floor space will be fenced off..only one entry/excite door door..I will fit a roof on top of the two cement walls converge ...will upload photos for better understanding and explanation within a few minutes..
    This is where I want to place my bee hives..I will fence it and add a roof as well..
    a5b42bd9-dd70-452c-9eb8-8bbc4dfbe976.jpgadc13ce8-4f6b-4f4b-ad96-585404351df1 (1).jpgfcdfc23e-2efb-465a-bd65-61fb60d87fc5.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast