Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Newbie question - DIY ammo vs dealer ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    A scale before chrony
    100% agreed. If people aren’t complete idiots its pretty difficult to screw up handgun rounds.

User

[QUOTE=FNBROWNING;1310429]
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
    Sorry, but this is dangerous advice. Especially for a noob.
    I am not an expert, but am talking from experience here - about making a mistake with charge weights.

Incorrect. A crony alone cannot be relied on as an indicator of incorrect/overcharged loads. The basic indicators are stuck cases, primer flattening and or protrusion, case markings being flattened,short case life and or difficulty resizing,excessive recoil/ejection and blast (compared to factory ammo) and in a worst case scenario a blown up gun. Light loads should be quickly evident for their own reason.
    In a nutshell one needs to understand the basics properly before even worrying about chasing velocity with a crony.

From the OP, it seems that the person is new to handgun shooting.

This is why I disagree with your advice. I am not suggesting to go and shoot over a chrony every time you reload, but at least every time you change something in the reloading process, and when you start off. How else would you know if you didn’t do something wrong..? While those basic indicators can help you, one can not rely on just those signs.. it can be misleading to someone starting off.. same with an incorrectly setup chrony.
    I will use my own experience to tell you why.. My experience, due to what I understood the signs were, proves that wrong.

Please note that reloading was not new to me at this stage, however it was the first time I reloaded such a small casing...9mmp with 124gr frontier cmj bullets.

Have you heard of detonation due to too low charge? Well, I am glad that did not happen to me. Maybe this never happens in handguns (an internet search reveals that it does) but sure as hell - I will not test it.

What I did wrong: I calibrated my electronic scale next to a vodacom Wi-fi router. The signals interfered with the scales reading. I loaded 10 rounds weighing 4.1grain of MP200 - the start weight in the reloading section of somchem, which actually was somewhere below 2grain due to the incorrect setup. I am sure we all make mistakes at some time..
    I now verify my electronic scale with my beam scale before I start reloading, and sometimes during loading.

Result: I shot one round - the case was stuck and 70% of the case was black.
    The information I have read on the internet is that MP200 is dirty buring and not to trust somchems values, but rather use it as a guideline. In my mind this was an indication of overpressure..

The first shot did not register on the chrony, second and third shots registered. The velocity was 390ft/s and 470ft/s @ 2m from the chronograph.. Yes, 80ft/s difference.
    They were under pressure, and the dirt got the case stuck in the chamber.

I reloaded ammunition for my 300winmag just before I reloaded the 9mmP, and I had to pull all 50 bullets as I calibrated the scale beforehand.

One needs to understand the basics of safe reloading practices properly and the consequences of it before giving advice of not using a chrony to a noob, maybe it is not important and that some people like taking risks and short cuts.
    In my opinion a reloading setup is not complete without the following three - a reloading manual, a scale and a chronograph. A lot of people reload without these and never had a problem, but again in my humble opinion it is unsafe practice.

I will add the following advice as well - when starting new, it is a good idea to have someone with experience to guide or help you.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I was lucky all these years then.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6