Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Newbie question - DIY ammo vs dealer ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If you shoot less than 1000 a year it's better to just use factory S&B party packs, unless you're willing to write off the cost of the reloading equipment which could be anywhere from R5000 to R15000.

If you're going to shoot a lot (IPSC or IDPA) then reload.
    I shoot about 100-200 rounds every time I go, since Im a newbie I need more ammo to train.... easily a few grand per month so I guess reloading will make sense for me.

P.S where can I buy good reloading equipment? Dealer told me it cost something like R50k - R130k for a good equipment.... something tells me they rather sell me the ammo than having me reload....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    It all depends on how much you want to invest and how much you’re planning to shoot. You can get S&B now for R995/250 in the party pack which is an amazing deal IMO. And if you’re clever, you save the cases and come sell it here for R1/ea to recoup some of your cost.

That makes a round roughly R3 after selling the case.

Reloading costs me about R1.60 each excluding the case. (124gr RN CMJ, S&B primer and S121).
    This is excluding the labor, reloading machine and time which by far is the most expensive part.

So as with everything in life, you’ll have to go do some calculations to see which is the most viable option for you.

Thanks for the reply, where can I buy S&B party packs? I will check with dealer again this week when I go shooting but I have a feeling them wont have it.

Where can I sell the case for R1? R3 a round sounds SWEET! Man... Im glad I asked these newbie questions LOL, I had NO IDEA those cases still had value.... never kept any....gawd damn it

User

Quote Originally Posted by iLovePie View Post
    Dealer told me it cost something like R50k - R130k for a good equipment.... something tells me they rather sell me the ammo than having me reload....
    Divide those amounts by 10 and you're at a more realistic price. haha, wish my set was worth 130k !!

User

Thanks for the reply, where can I buy S&B party packs? I will check with dealer again this week when I go shooting but I have a feeling them wont have it.

Where can I sell the case for R1? R3 a round sounds SWEET! Man... Im glad I asked these newbie questions LOL, I had NO IDEA those cases still had value.... never kept any....gawd damn it
    The most common places are Camdix and Hot Power in Krugersdorp who always have stock. And you can come here to Gunsite and post an ad and sell the cases for R1 each.

User

P.S where can I buy good reloading equipment? Dealer told me it cost something like R50k - R130k for a good equipment.... something tells me they rather sell me the ammo than having me reload....
    A really tit setup would set you back about R22k if I can remember the last prices. A Dillon 650 with a case feeder and you’ll be pumping 100 rounds out every 5 minutes.

Banned

http://opencart.480bc.co.za/index.ph...&product_id=50

There you go: Lee Loadmaster R5800.

Or

RCBS ProChucker:R14872 at bidorbuy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I was surprised to see that I can get Frontier cheaper in Germany than what some of you guys get it in SA.

Retail of €66 / R1059 per 1000 (Including VAT @ 19%)
    Its called supply and demand. Frontier doesn't really have any real competition in South Africa. There have been
    others that have tried but their quality was not up to standard. They often produced bad leading. Some may still be
    producing CMJ ammo. If there was realistic competition the price would have to drop. I know that at one stage PMP cartridges were selling cheaper in the US than in SA.

User

Have a look at 2nd hand Lee reloading equipment. Most presses are around R 2500, add a few extras like scale, callipers and you can set up a reloading station for under R 4000.00

User

The bullet is the part that comes out the end of the barrel. A cartridge or round is an assembled bullet, primer, case and hopefully powder.

I suggest a reloading manual to understand the principles

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    http://opencart.480bc.co.za/index.ph...&product_id=50

There you go: Lee Loadmaster R5800.

Or

RCBS ProChucker:R14872 at bidorbuy.
    No. If it's not blue it's mediocre....

Hey a Dillon Square Deal B or a 650 from shooting stuff. A mate of mine will pop around and help you set it up and tune it for a fee.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast