Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Witbors Kraai - Raven what ever you call the white chested ones.

This reminds me of some research done by an Australian group, who were trying to figure out why the crows kept getting run over on the highway. It seemed strange for such intelligent birds. What they noted through hours of observation was that the crows were always run over by trucks and not cars. Careful observation revealed that it was always the duty of one crow to go on the lookout, and if a car approached, it would warn the others and they would take flight. They realised was that the crows perished because they had a limited vocabulary. They can say "Kaaar" ...... but not truck. Cody would love this one

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    The crows can be useful, when you do voorsit hunt in the Karoo for springbok. The crows always tell me if there is an animal lying in the veld where I shot by doing a few circles over the area.
    and the crow shooters must remember - the black crow is a good helper crow - not a pest bird

I Use the scare crow caller also, and a decoy spinner, you need to make sure you are well hidden.

Call number 1 works very well to bring them in, call 4 and 7 once they are near and you haven't got them yet.

Camouflage your blind decently. if your standing around in camo clothes its all for nought, they will see you and flee.

I am helping a farmer again next weekend, I will take some pictures of my setup from the outside.

User

I did a lot of radio conttrol flying , especialy gliders. Then I built a mostly black glider with a white fuselage with a wingspan about the same as a crow, and the crows in the area just couldn't stand it , I would put it in the air and within a couple of minutes there would be a couple of them. I had a lot of fun as the glide ratio of my glider was better than that of the crows so I could climb and dive into them.

It could be a way to lure them in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    I did a lot of radio conttrol flying , especialy gliders. Then I built a mostly black glider with a white fuselage with a wingspan about the same as a crow, and the crows in the area just couldn't stand it , I would put it in the air and within a couple of minutes there would be a couple of them. I had a lot of fun as the glide ratio of my glider was better than that of the crows so I could climb and dive into them.

It could be a way to lure them in.
    A very interesting approach - could really bring them to where "you" want them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3