Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Trophy Hunting, Part One: The nasty colonial sport of shooting wild animals

Read this article on DM: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...-wild-animals/

He is very selective in his use of facts...

User

Default Re: Trophy Hunting, Part One: The nasty colonial sport of shooting wild animals

Trophy hunting in general makes no sense, this is not a PR battle that can be won.

User

Default Re: Trophy Hunting, Part One: The nasty colonial sport of shooting wild animals

What the author seems to fail to realize, is that banning trophy hunting will not stop the animals being killed. It will however stop people from trying to conserve them outside of national parks.

User

So much bullshit. The problem all of these so called statistics comes from goverment owned lands. It does not account for the unbelievably vast amounts of animals privately owned. There are more lions now than ever before in the history of south africa but sinve they only count the ones in national parks they are in decline. Also bunching together hunting(concessions and private lands) and poaching(national parks) to account for game lost in national parks are truly unethical reporting. He can go f@ck himself i am sick and tired of hearing how all problems are caused by white men

User

I have not read it. My guess Don Pinnock? He is definitely not unbiased

User

Selective use of facts. Trophy hunting is supposedly the reason for the reduction in DNA variety, not the fact that lion populations outside of National Parks were virtually eradicated before the advent of private hunting farms.

I don't carry a torch for trophy hunting at all but logic tells me that very few predators will be tolerated on game farms if it doesn't bring in money.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    Selective use of facts. Trophy hunting is supposedly the reason for the reduction in DNA variety, not the fact that lion populations outside of National Parks were virtually eradicated before the advent of private hunting farms.

I don't carry a torch for trophy hunting at all but logic tells me that very few predators will be tolerated on game farms if it doesn't bring in money.
    No animals will be tolerated if it does not bring in money because they cost money. No human is going to conserve anything while hungry

"but because they avoid head shots most likely to result in instant death as this ruins a trophy destined for mounting"

Quite clearly, he knows less about hunting than even I do – and I don't hunt.

Oh… And please answer this:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/world/a-hunting-ban-saps-a-villages-livelihood.html
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Trophy hunting in general makes no sense, this is not a PR battle that can be won.
    From a conservation viewpoint trophy hunting makes all the sense in the world. As with firearms control, one shouldnt try and win over the fanatic, but rather the fence sitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfever View Post
    I have not read it. My guess Don Pinnock? He is definitely not unbiased
    Yes as always

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Agreed on trophy hunting but he leaves a lot of facts out so very biased...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast