Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Rifle and Scope info required

Good day.

I have received the firearm in the pictures as a gift. I do not have a lot of information regarding the firearm and the scope and would like to get some input from you guys.

I know this is a BRNO .270

I am not sure what model this firearm is and what the value of the firearm is (for insurance purposes).

I have done a bit of research on the scope. As far as I can tell this is an older (maybe 5 years old) scope. I have looked at similar scopes and the closest I could find was a: Lynx LX2 4.5-14x40AO. Would this be the correct comparison?

I have also noticed that the scope is missing lens caps. What would be the best option for protection? I am considering a neoprene scope sleeve.

Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Louie89; 25-04-2019 at 14:20. Reason: Removed picture

Default Re: Rifle and Scope info required

Nice dude, real nice gift.

Lens caps can be a bit of a PITA, think carefully. Neoprene cover would be a welcome addition.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Value with scope I would estimate at around R12000. Very nice gift to get, looks in very good nick. Going to cost you though, hunting and shooting is expensive and it would be a sin to keep it locked up in the safe.

User

The sticky on "Buying your first rifle - deciding on a calibre" by Tetelestai. has a nice write-up on the .270Win if you are interested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Nice dude, real nice gift.

Lens caps can be a bit of a PITA, think carefully. Neoprene cover would be a welcome addition.
    Thank you for the input. I was specifically looking at the neoprene sleeve because I knew I would struggle to find lens caps.

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    Value with scope I would estimate at around R12000. Very nice gift to get, looks in very good nick. Going to cost you though, hunting and shooting is expensive and it would be a sin to keep it locked up in the safe.
    Thank you for the information. I am curious as to your value estimation. Maybe you can give me a rough breakdown or estimates on the individual values.

Yes I am fully aware of the financial implications I have brought unto myself by accepting the gift. I am now looking into reloading equipment and club fees etc. Good for the soul, not so much for the wallet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    The sticky on "Buying your first rifle - deciding on a calibre" by Tetelestai. has a nice write-up on the .270Win if you are interested.
    Thank you very much. I am going to check it out.

User

You will probably not get R12000 for the combo if you try to sell but for insurance purposes I looked at R3000 for the scope and R9000 for the rifle, dependent on condition. If the bore is damaged due to pitting or shot out that will drop drastically.

Wow lovely gift! I would think the rifle would be worth R8k to R11k depending on condition so call that R10k. I think that is the LX2 which is about R5k new. So R12k is probably a good call maybe marginally more but for insurance might be worth increasing?

User

Thank you very much for the information guys. I have no intentions of selling this firearm as it does hold sentimental value to me. But I am definitely going to get it insured.

User

If you reload the 270Win becomes much more versatile as you can download for lower speeds and go up to 180gn bullets for bushveld hunting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast