Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rifle and Scope info required

Mauser pattern action, so most probably a VZ.24
    Does not look like a model 21. Very nice rifle!
    Whom are you doing insurance through?

ETA: On second thoughts: what does the bolt handle look like? Does is have a knob or a flat "spade" shape?

User

User

Round knob, not flat spade, thus not Model 21.
    But regardless, the VZ.24s are regarded as some of the best Mauser clones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Round knob, not flat spade, thus not Model 21.
    But regardless, the VZ.24s are regarded as some of the best Mauser clones.
    Thank you for the info Pirate. I removed a picture I posted in the OP that showed the markings and stamps on the firearm. I see that V.Z.24. is marked next to the serial number.

Banned

I think if you phone in on a new CZ or similar old name make and keep the model inline with the type of finish and no plastics etc you would find 12/14000 is more like what you would pay for same for same rifle like that. A 4 -14 Lynx scope 6/7 grand new models.
    The rifle as it stands there as a combo if there is nothing not matching outside appearance, I would pay R12000 for it and wish I got it cheaper, but know that I did not over pay.
    Musta been a upright kinda fella who gave it to you, being a .270 and all, he coulda burdened you with a 30 oh no 6.( false friends and such)

User

I own a 7x57 (built by Musgrave) on a vz24 action, it has given good service during the 30 years I have had it. I had to replace the firing pin, once, and the magazine spring, once. Value of the rifle will depend on the condition of the bore and other factors e.g. was the military trigger replaced with a decent sporting trigger?

I hope it brings you a lot of joy. Pity about the calibre though... :)

User

That is definitely a classic BRNO rifle. I first thought yours is a Model 21, but then also noted the bolt handle has the round knob.

I have a BRNO Model 21 in 7x64 and it is manufactured in 1947 as far as I know (according to a marking on the rifle). Here is a picture of it from a hunt last year:

Out of interest, can you see any marking on the rifle that indicates the year of manufacture?

That rifle of yours will give you years of great shooting pleasure if you look after it. What an awesome gift!!

Banned

I hope it brings you a lot of joy. Pity about the calibre though... :)[/QUOTE]

yea could have been a 7 x 57 -the bush velt .270

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I think if you phone in on a new CZ or similar old name make and keep the model inline with the type of finish and no plastics etc you would find 12/14000 is more like what you would pay for same for same rifle like that. A 4 -14 Lynx scope 6/7 grand new models.
    The rifle as it stands there as a combo if there is nothing not matching outside appearance, I would pay R12000 for it and wish I got it cheaper, but know that I did not over pay.
    Musta been a upright kinda fella who gave it to you, being a .270 and all, he coulda burdened you with a 30 oh no 6.( false friends and such)
    I actually received this firearm from my mother. It was the firearm I used on my first hunt. That is where the sentiment originates from. What I am getting at is that this firearm has been within the possession of my mother for more or less 20 years. It was also purchased new from a dealer. As far as I can recall there have been no major issues regarding the firearm. It has also not seen heavy use. I do believe the firearm to be in very good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I own a 7x57 (built by Musgrave) on a vz24 action, it has given good service during the 30 years I have had it. I had to replace the firing pin, once, and the magazine spring, once. Value of the rifle will depend on the condition of the bore and other factors e.g. was the military trigger replaced with a decent sporting trigger?

As far as I know everything is original on the firearm. Although I have hunted before I have done so mainly with .300 calibers and up. I am not very experienced with the .270 but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I have other plans for a .375HH .

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    That is definitely a classic BRNO rifle. I first thought yours is a Model 21, but then also noted the bolt handle has the round knob.

I have a BRNO Model 21 in 7x64 and it is manufactured in 1947 as far as I know (according to a marking on the rifle). Here is a picture of it from a hunt last year:

Out of interest, can you see any marking on the rifle that indicates the year of manufacture?

That rifle of yours will give you years of great shooting pleasure if you look after it. What an awesome gift!!
    Nice rifle and nice Impala you have there. The markings indicate a '97. I'm taking that as a 1997 manufacture date.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    yea could have been a 7 x 57 -the bush velt .270[/QUOTE]

Looking at other calibers for larger game and hunting in thicker bush at a shorter distance.

User

@Louie

The 270 is very easy to download to x57 specs with 150gr bullets.
    But my 270 have seen a lot of bush terrain hunting with barnes TSX, big animals no problem at all.

Don't be too hasty to look for something bigger yet, trust me on this, load it with a heavy premium or monolithic bullets and you can hunt anything up close. When my stash of TSX runs out I was thinking of loading some 150gr peregrine VRG3 bullets for up close hunting, if people cant kill antelope with that they should not hunt.

Just a thought, play around a bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast