Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Rifle and Scope info required

what Messor said is so true,I have loaded my .270 down to 2600 odd fps using 130gr bullets - the most noticeable differance was grouping, the 270 seems to shoot very very well at lowered speeds. I was shooting spring buck for other people in rather thick thorn velt - 100 m most shots. Worked rather well but could have been better - perhaps the 150 gr would be better still.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    @Louie

The 270 is very easy to download to x57 specs with 150gr bullets.
    But my 270 have seen a lot of bush terrain hunting with barnes TSX, big animals no problem at all.

Don't be too hasty to look for something bigger yet, trust me on this, load it with a heavy premium or monolithic bullets and you can hunt anything up close. When my stash of TSX runs out I was thinking of loading some 150gr peregrine VRG3 bullets for up close hunting, if people cant kill antelope with that they should not hunt.

Just a thought, play around a bit.
    Hi Messor. My idea is not to look for something bigger because I think that the .270 is not up to it. I just want another rifle, and use any excuse I can to justify that purchase .

Thank you for the information regarding the loads and capabilities. I will definitely be doing my research and testing ammunition before attempting to hunt anything with it.

My ideas with the rifle is to hunt. But I will also be using it occasionally for varmint and culling purposes. I also want to try longer distance shooting. I have access to about 500m range and would like to improve my skills regarding distance shooting. I think this platform will meet a lot of my requirements.

Reloading is also on the agenda so testing loads and seeing what works best for what purpose is also something I am very curious to learn about. I think this caliber is versatile enough to play with a variety of options.

User

Louie

May I advise that you do the opposite.

The 270 is a hunting rifle, and will still be one long after most newcomers have gone.
    Get yourself a smaller cartridge for range work, plinking and varminting, like a 243AI, 6mm creedmoor, 22-250, any one of those with a tight twist.
    Even the 223, a LOT of plinking, learning, varminting etc can be done with a 223, but it is so cheap to run.

Use the 270 for now as your hunting rifle, because it can, get something smaller for the other purposes, cheaper to reload and practice with.
    If you are inclined that way you can always get yourself a bigger bushveld caliber later, something you really fancy, like a 375 or 9.3 etc.

Lovely rifle! Doubt it was made in 1999, I don't think an M98 actioned rilfe from the BRNO plant has been made for a long time.

Not sure why one needs to slow down a .270 unless using cup and core bullets. Load mono metals and go and hunt in the bush.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    Lovely rifle! Doubt it was made in 1999, I don't think an M98 actioned rilfe from the BRNO plant has been made for a long time.

Not sure why one needs to slow down a .270 unless using cup and core bullets. Load mono metals and go and hunt in the bush.
    Hunting game at 30 -100 m with mono bullet at 3200 fps will cause meat damage I use the GS Customs 110 gr bullets in my .270 Win bout 12 years now - I am also a great advocate for the GS Custom bullet, but at bushvelt ranges and mono non modified speeds you will have meat damage, quiet a bit - and if you hit bigger bones you will have major meat loss.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

See attached image. From what I see there is a 97' stamped on the firearm. My first hunt with this rifle must have been around 1999 or 2000. That is why I thought the 97 stamp seems like a likely date of manufacture. I could be wrong though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Louie89 View Post
    See attached image. From what I see there is a 97' stamped on the firearm. My first hunt with this rifle must have been around 1999 or 2000. That is why I thought the 97 stamp seems like a likely date of manufacture. I could be wrong though.

It would be way older than that, the vz24's replacement (the ZKK) was on full production in the early 70s)

Banned

Is that not a proofing house stamp ? The date the weapon was registered somewhere as proofed ?
    Like when manufacturer puts a weapon together or receives barrels from one place and actions from another, when they machine and match parts to make a whole, then stamp it all as theres and tested ?.
    Benny Musgrave did that with the actions he had and matched them to barrels and named them Musgrave ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Louie89 View Post
    That's quite interesting......

As already stated, the VZ24 is an old action and it seems very unlikely that a rifle would come out of the factory in the 90's with that action.

But, every Brno I've ever looked at has a 2 digit number that gives the year of manufacture in that area of the barrel and and of the action.

The proof mark (Man over an "N") looks like a CZ one, so it is unlikely to be, for example, built by Musgrave on a VZ24 action.

I trust someone with more knowledge than me will be along to explain it.

User

Default Rifle and Scope info required

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    That's quite interesting......

As already stated, the VZ24 is an old action and it seems very unlikely that a rifle would come out of the factory in the 90's with that action.

But, every Brno I've ever looked at has a 2 digit number that gives the year of manufacture in that area of the barrel and and of the action.

I trust someone with more knowledge than me will be along to explain it.
    This will be a Rifle someone has had custom built on a Brno VZ-24 action.
    The 97 has more than likely been stamped on by whoever built the rifle to be in line with the Brno tradition of stamping the date of manufacture there.
    This is definitely not a factory Brno as it is as the VZ action has not been produced for a very long time.

The tricky thing to find would be who built it? Have you stripped it and had a look under the action to see if anyone has put any builder’s or gunsmith marks there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast