Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default 1st Hunt for the year

So..... Im off to my mates farm to go open the hunting season for him, as well as taking my SO for her first hunt ever.
    If all goes well I will be shooting some impala and a Kudu. The SO will shoot a impala (If she can get over the fear of killing an animal)

Who else is hunting this weekend

Default Re: 1st Hunt for the year

Kudu, Impala, Warthog in Grahamstown.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Kudu, Impala, Warthog in Grahamstown.
    I really hope I stumble upon a nice FAT pig. No one has shot anything on the farm since last Aug. Chance are good. Going out tonight to see whats out there

User

Lekker just opened my season as well

April always costs a not insignificant amount for the year ahead. As the years go by I find
    myself having to remember so many items. And the hunt itself requires a long list of items:
    Zero scopes, ammunition, hunting licence, NHSA permission to hunt / transport venison,
    rifle licences for roadblocks, braai meat, braai grid, gift for the farmer and his wife, service bakkie,
    tyres, fill up with diesel, snacks, camera, check hunting bag items, clothes, replenish first aid kit, cash to
    pay for the hunted animals, braai condiments, braai tongs .................

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    April always costs a not insignificant amount for the year ahead. As the years go by I find
    myself having to remember so many items. And the hunt itself requires a long list of items:
    Zero scopes, ammunition, hunting licence, NHSA permission to hunt / transport venison,
    rifle licences for roadblocks, braai meat, braai grid, gift for the farmer and his wife, service bakkie,
    tyres, fill up with diesel, snacks, camera, check hunting bag items, clothes, replenish first aid kit, cash to
    pay for the hunted animals, braai condiments, braai tongs .................
    OR save yourself the effort and money, just stay home and buy Braai meat and Biltong from the local butcher and a new firearm for yourself each year!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    OR save yourself the effort and money, just stay home and buy Braai meat and Biltong from the local butcher and a new firearm for yourself each year!!!
    If it is such an effort - you must be doing it wrong.
    It is a passion/privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtcase View Post
    If it is such an effort - you must be doing it wrong.
    It is a passion/privilege.
    Not the effort but the crazy prices of everything added up eventually.

My point being hunting your own meat for biltong each year is great but ultimately becoming crazy expensive ,however my point is staying home and purchasing the biltong or venison is way cheaper with the added benefit of being able to purchase a new Firearm each year with the money that you have saved by staying home.

I guess having a family farm gives me a different perspective as I still love hunting but it is becoming a rich man's passion /privilege unfortunately.

User

I guess having a family farm gives me a different perspective as I still love hunting but it is becoming a rich man's passion /privilege unfortunately.
    If you have been following prices, then on certain game it has come down or remained steady. In 2016 we paid R4500 for a BWB bull, a lot of farms are still on this price. Blesbuck stay around R1800 to R2200 a animal, Gemsbuck anything from R5k to R6k. Accommodation and skinning / ph rates are always a factor. The economy is hurting, and all luxury items / spending is feeling it, ask restaurants etc. My bet is that farms would rather have hunters coming and have the monetary turn-over than trying for the highest prices and have people come there, shoot a single Springbok and drink all weekend.

For me, I save for my annual trip, a little bit every month. Last year I had to choose. Take my daughter to a national sporting competition for a week, or go hunting. I didn't go hunting. This year, no sports events, so we're going hunting. Money has been slowly set aside, and I'm quite looking forward to it. Mid July, Molteno in EC, cold weather, warm fires and best of all, my cellphone showing "No Service"..

User

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast