Thread: Selling a Rifle

User

Default Selling a Rifle

Hi.

So I need some advice, I need to sell my hunting rifle but I have no clue where to start with regards to the legal steps to follow.

Do I first get a buyer and then have the licence carried over to him? Do I take his money in advance? Do I book the rifle in as Dealer stock and take it off my name completely?

What would you guys suggest I do?

Regards
    Francois

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Selling a Rifle

1: you take payment
    2: fill in details on the SAPS271 form & sign, then make copy of license and your ID - get it certified and send this this to the buyer
    3: if you know the guy or are happy to do so you can keep it in your safe till his license is approved or you can transfer to dealer stock - storage to the account of the buyer. Caveat: with all the issues with the 350’s it might not be the best option to transfer to dealer stock...

Hope this helps.

User

Always money before 271.

The dealer stock route gets you out of the picture sooner, you don't have to wait for other guys license to be approved etc.
    Once its paid for and dealer stocked, it's between dealer and new owner.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Always money before 271.

The dealer stock route gets you out of the picture sooner, you don't have to wait for other guys license to be approved etc.
    Once its paid for and dealer stocked, it's between dealer and new owner.
    Ah Great, so what would the dealers fee normally be for something like that?

Thanks for the help

User

Quote Originally Posted by Missconduct View Post

Thanks for the help
    Legally Armed Stellenbosch charged me around R350 for the paperwork, then R80/month storage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Missconduct View Post

Thanks for the help
    It really depends on the dealer, some will stock it for free, but the most I have heard of is R750.
    They all charge storage fees though, that's normally R100 a month. You will have to decide who pays that, but most sellers pay the first 3 months.

User

Hi Missconduct, I've never sold a rifle before (the one I sold a month or so ago was my first one), but I have bought a few firearms privately before. Because I knew the sellers, they kept the firearms in their safes until I got my licence, and then I collected it. The actual licensing process seems simpler this way, since there's no Dealer Stock forms involved, so I can actually recommend it. If you need the licence slot though, that's a problem because it'll remain on your name until CFR one day decides to move it to the new owner.

That being said, it's a lot less painful than it sounds, so don't worry about it too much.

EDIT: Oh and because the buyer of my rifle mentioned above is also a forum member and he stays a while away, while I have Dedicated Hunters, I don't need to book it in, so we both score on the storage fees and he can just collect when his licence is ready.