Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Norinco Ammo and AR 15

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Yellow box batch. 55gr from a 16' barrel AR @ 3200FPS seems a tad hot to me
    That not off the scale. PMP 55gr 5.56 Military lot manufactured in 1989 is doing 3250 from 18 inch barrel.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    That not off the scale. PMP 55gr 5.56 Military lot manufactured in 1989 is doing 3250 from 18 inch barrel.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
    FMP mill, runs 3200 out a 14.5 inch AR.So yes velocity is on par with other military rounds.Though as mentioned in another thread they are gassy.How fast they are is not necessarily a reflection of function.With a semi auto what is relevant is the pressure at gas port.Faster vs slower powder makes a huge diff as Vietnam showed.That being said if the AR has a proper 5.56 chamber and proper gas port as in not commercial size it will run without issue save for increased bolt speed and recoil.There is no question that the powder type runs higher pressure at the gas port.Remember most commercial AR rifles are overgassed to function with weaker commercial ammo

User

Norinco is hugely mass produced ammo and ofcourse an issue can pop up here and there but 3 or 4 shooters complaining about popped primers etc is hardly indicative of anything other than possible tight chamber specs and combined with possible full power 556 ammo (versus low velocity 223 ammo like PMP).

Hundreds of thousands of rounds of Norinco 223 have been sold and shot in SA alone over the last 3 or 4 years.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurdoop View Post
    How often do you anneal and what charge do you load them M43? Curious since I got a bunch of Norinco (C J 95 headstamp) for free that I'd like to reload
    I load 23.2 grains of S321 behind (any) 55grain bullet. I full length resize and trim EVERY time and I make sure my brass is clean.

I do not anneal and I'm not interested in doing so for a reason. All my ammo has excellent case-neck tension and accuracy. I get a split neck now and then but in my experience Win / PMP/ Sako / Federal or anything else splits at about the same rate (Some of them on the first firing). I don't want the case necks to outlast the rest of the case. A case neck that splits on the umpteenth firing will still eject (and be safe). A case head that separates will stop the gun dead.

For what its worth I have some Win, Rem, and PPU AK brass that has been loaded 10 + times but never annealed. I simply see no reason to anneal. (If I was shooting max loads in Bisley class F I might be singing another tune, perhaps but maybe not?)

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Norinco is hugely mass produced ammo and ofcourse an issue can pop up here and there but 3 or 4 shooters complaining about popped primers etc is hardly indicative of anything other than possible tight chamber specs and combined with possible full power 556 ammo (versus low velocity 223 ammo like PMP).

Hundreds of thousands of rounds of Norinco 223 have been sold and shot in SA alone over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Regarding velocities, i think the "hot" perception is based on the fact that 5.56 ammo is not regularly available in SA and thus most people shoot .223, which is a lower velocity cartridge. We get accustomed to the feel of .223

If you shoot / chrono .223 and then 5.56, you will notice a difference.

Possibly a difference in Chrono but I cannot really recall a difference in recoil between good milsurp and PMP.

User

What JayJ says is probably correct. Brown Box 55 gr PMP runs at about 2750 fps in my rifle, Milsurp PMP 55 gr at about 3150 (depending on batch) and I have chronied the yellow box Norinco at about 3200.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    What JayJ says is probably correct. Brown Box 55 gr PMP runs at about 2750 fps in my rifle, Milsurp PMP 55 gr at about 3150 (depending on batch) and I have chronied the yellow box Norinco at about 3200.
    I miss cheap PMP

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I miss cheap PMP
    What happened?? Why are they so costly nowadays?

User

I had shot thousands of them over the years without issue.

Then I got the yellow box stuff and had multiple blown primers in guns with 5.56 chambers.

Also had some of the brown paper stuff which I’ve never had issues with before have cracks burn though in the case head region. Defiantly an ammo thing not a gun thing as other ammo doesn’t do that.

Wether it’s fast or not it does appear to have issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast