Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Im new and undecided

And, be prepared to wait for the "processes" of obtaining a legal firearm:

1. First get training (Theory and Practical), to enable you to
    2. Apply for Competency (at SAPS)
    3. it may take 4 weeks - 4 months to get your competency certificate from SAPS
    4. Thereafter, you can apply for the chosen firearm licence at SAPS
    5. Again, it may take 4 weeks - 4 months to get your licence card from SAPS
    6. If there are any errors (by yourself/ Dealer/ CFR), then expect the process to take a year or longer.

Bottom Line: START NOW!
    and hit the range often

User

Welcome!

User

Welcome

The majority of people murdered in SA are unarmed at the time.

As long as you are a rational person and only draw it on another person when your life is in danger, store it safely, treat it with respect etc having a firearm will not cause any firearm related events or escalate any situation

User

Negative outcomes are avoided by your actions. The gun itself is like many of the other tools in your home. Potentially dangerous if mismanaged and exceptionally useful when needed. We take for granted the other dangerous things in the house, and then get worried about the GUN because some quarters have added a special stigma to.

Go out and seek professional training with your pistol. Not just your proficiency training for competence. Don't look for someone doing ninja rolls out of cars. Go learn how to shoot with the gun and how to think with a gun in your hand.

Its a useful tool but only of you make the effort to understand and manage it. If you do that it poses far less danger to your family than a car or the knives in your kitchen drawer.

User

User

Good Day thank you for the warm welcomes and advice. Its greatly appreciated.

I will be moving forward with this. What really hit home was @jiggajonos remark: " It's is better to have and not need than to need and not have a legal firearm.

Look forward to being part off the community. Will post my progress as I go along.

User

Welcome to GS, moving forward to owning your own SD gun is a great step in the right direction. Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post

I will be moving forward with this. What really hit home was @jiggajonos remark: " It's is better to have and not need than to need and not have a legal firearm.

Look forward to being part off the community. Will post my progress as I go along.

And once you get your gun, you will need to change your username :-)

But a friendly Mod will assist.

Maybe Guns4Eva lol

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post

Welcome GunOrNot.

The most important weapon is between your ears. Glad you're contemplating the acquisition of a firearm (unlike many naive inhabitants of our country). To have the ability to protect oneself and your loved ones is an amazing privilege that many countries do not have.
    Enjoy the journey!

(PS: I would advise you to do competency for all 4 classes of firearms. It's a little more expensive but can save you a lot of hastle IF the bug bites and you later want to get something like a hunting rifle/shotgun)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurdoop View Post
    Welcome GunOrNot.

The most important weapon is between your ears. Glad you're contemplating the acquisition of a firearm (unlike many naive inhabitants of our country). To have the ability to protect oneself and your loved ones is an amazing privilege that many countries do not have.
    Enjoy the journey!

(PS: I would advise you to do competency for all 4 classes of firearms. It's a little more expensive but can save you a lot of hastle IF the bug bites and you later want to get something like a hunting rifle/shotgun)
    Here here! I have had competency for handgun & rifle for many years and recently decided to expand my horizons and bought a shotgun.
    It is so00 irritating to only be able to use it every couple of months with the dealer at a club shoot, while I wait for the competency and then again the wait for the licence.
    Do it all at once if you can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast