Default Identifying Metford/ Enfield rifle

Hi folks
    I need some help identifying this rifle.
    Any other interesting info is of course more than welcome and will be greatly appreciated.
    For some reason I can't upload anymore pics right now, I will try again later

User

Default Re: Identifying Metford/ Enfield rifle

Charger Loading Lee Enfield (CLLE)

The markings on top of the knox and below the bolt on the metal ring behind the trigger will provide further detail as to when it was made and by whom.

Banned

Google Lee Enfield Mk 1

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

So to follow up on vratvark, the CLLE is an improvement on the MLE and the MLE is an improvement of the MLM. Many MLE rifles were upgraded to CLLE rifles after the Boer War or received various CLLE upgrades such as front sight protector and dovetail front sight blades. Yours though seems to be a CLLE. If you remove the top hand guard you will find the date of manufacture. It’ll probably be dated in the 20’s. Apparently the Union Government ordered a consignment of CLLE rifles, for some reason the Boere seemed to favor the longer rifle over the SMLE

Interestingly the CLLE is a “younger” design than the SMLE. It can be considered a stopgap as the the shift was away from a long rifle to an intermediate length.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Look where vratvark described and post info, always interesting to work the Lee's out. Look on knox start of barrel and under the bolt. If you lucky there will be two dates the older being date of manufacture and the new date the date of rebarreling (and refurbish). Mine is 1918 and was reconditioned and re barreled 1948. The newer barrel may or my not be as badly damaged by the corrosive ammunition of yesteryear.