Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Optimum .22lr barrel length?

Not a legal question more a technical one. Is there an ideal or optimum barrel length for a .22lr bolt action rifle? Any advantages having a barrel longer than 16" in .22lr?

User

Default Re: Optimum .22lr barrel length?

I cannot see any advantages with a barrel longer than 16 inches except..If you shoot with open sights then the longer sight radius may be of help....High velocity ammo may be a few fps quicker [if you see that as an advantage]...the balance of the rifle may feel better [subjective]. Other than that,the advantages go with the 16 inch barrel.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Have a Ruger 10/22 Tactical (16 " Barrel) and Brno .22 Bolt Action, have not checked barrel length but should be about 20". Both scoped. I cannot find any advantage off the longer barrel. 10/22 currently the .22 I use most.

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Very interesting. Pity there isn't rifle cartridge data available.

Banned

Opinions vary. Some say the powder in a .22LR cartridge is burnt by 9 inches, others say it is burnt by 12 inches. If that is correct the bullet should be slowing down from 13 inches onwards, or shortly thereafter. Max speed should also be somewhere around there.

Regarding shorter barrels and accuracy: I once read that one should remember the barrel length of target pistols. They are superbly accurate despite short barrels compared to rifles.

Chopping a .22 rifle barrel down to 12" or 14" leaves one with something like a shoulder mounted long pistol barrel.

My own .22 rifle is chopped to barrel length of 380mm (14.9") for a total length of 970mm with suppressor and handles well. I have yet to shoot her to 50m to test accuracy.

User

Is it possible that a 22" barrel will stabilise a bullet better than a 16" or shorter barrel? It would be particularly noticeable at longer distances.

Banned

13 to 16 inch's is the answer I have come to and that would it would also be depending on sub sonic standard - high or hyper velocity ammo. I do know that if you shoot a 2" .22 snubbie level arm you can see the bullet fall onto ground in front of you ( ask Pre 64 - as he experienced at the clay shoot day). 13 " with suppressor makes for a dandy handling toy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Is it possible that a 22" barrel will stabilise a bullet better than a 16" or shorter barrel? It would be particularly noticeable at longer distances.
    Probably not. Bullet gyroscopic stability is determined by it rotational speed and forward velocity. It is quite possible that the bullet may be losing velocity already past 20", so the longer barrel will add little if any velocity. If that twist rate is constant (not a gain twist) that is also, well, constant.

22LR rifles usually have a 1:16 barrel twist rate. That is good for up to 45gn lead bullets of conventional construction. The common 40gn bullets are slightly over-stabilized, so there is really nothing to add.

Pistols typically have the same twist rate, but much shorter barrels. They also tend to produce a little lower muzzle velocity figures, yet are usually much more accurate that the shooter holding them. With a stock and scope added, many of them will shoot just as accurately as a rifle with a much longer barrel.

So no, there is really no correlation between barrel length and accuracy, as long as the barrel length is within reasonable limits. I can see how those 1,25" mouse revolvers will not shoot as well as longer barreled revolvers and pistols.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Probably not. Bullet gyroscopic stability is determined by it rotational speed and forward velocity. It is quite possible that the bullet may be losing velocity already past 20", so the longer barrel will add little if any velocity. If that twist rate is constant (not a gain twist) that is also, well, constant. 22LR rifles usually have a 1:16 barrel twist rate. That is good for up to 45gn lead bullets of conventional construction. The common 40gn bullets are slightly over-stabilized, so there is really nothing to add.Pistols typically have the same twist rate, but much shorter barrels. They also tend to produce a little lower muzzle velocity figures, yet are usually much more accurate that the shooter holding them. With a stock and scope added, many of them will shoot just as accurately as a rifle with a much longer barrel.So no, there is really no correlation between barrel length and accuracy, as long as the barrel length is within reasonable limits. I can see how those 1,25" mouse revolvers will not shoot as well as longer barreled revolvers and pistols.
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast