Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Cz Shadow 2 for EDC

Hi Everyone,

Beside the weight aspect of the shadow 2 would the light trigger be an issue for edc? Given the fact that due to my profession i would not actually be able to edc but on days off and to the range.

Due to these reasons a compact firearm was never on my list as the days i do carry i wouldnt mind the extra effort. My main option was a colt python however finding one is proving more difficult than expected. For now those are my two choices any advice will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Cz Shadow 2 for EDC

It’s like using your race car for commuting.

It conceals as well as box of cornflakes and does not have a drop safety.

So no, not the best of ideas to EDC it.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

The weight is indeed a serious issue. It weighs twice as much as a fully loaded EDC gun should.

Then there is the issue of it not having a FPB (firing pin block) safety, meaning it can fire if dropped. This has happened before with this type of mechanism and people have died. Try not to add to the stats. The FPB was omitted on this model since the manufacturer does not regard it suitable for carry.

The light single action trigger is indeed another liability. Under the stress of a defensive shooting scenario, it is most likely to catch you out in one way or another.

Size is also a consideration. The bulk of a Shadow 2 makes it much more difficult to conceal than most popular EDC guns. And you do want to conceal it, I hope.

A Colt Python is another poor choice for carry. For a start, carry tends to wear a gun, and you definitely don't want to put any unnecessary wear on a fine collectable like a Python. Then there is the parts issue. And size, capacity and durability.

The correct tool for concealed carry is a compact or subcompact pistol in 9mmP calibre, with a plastic frame and minimal protrusions or sharp edges, carried concealed in a quality rigid holster.

User

I know two guys who EDC'd shadows. Both because they had to, not because they wanted to. They were both very sad during and afterwards.

About the Python, as A-R said, it is a collectible. And if you ever find one that still works flawlessly, then even more so. (You can always tell if a Python is a low round count example, by if it works lol) They were legendary for their barrels. Not so much for the clockwork. So if you find one with decent clockwork, please do not shoot it a lot. These are legends in our time, and deserve to be looked after with gloves on. I am a really big fan of them! Colt Python is a great choice for people who want a Colt Python, but not much else. But if you are serious about EDCing one, I would recommend getting a Glock26 to protect it with.

User

Quote Originally Posted by keru01 View Post
    ...Beside the weight aspect.....
    And I thought my Glock 19 was getting a tad heavy now(15hours/day of edc)... already have a 26 in the loop..

User

It's possible to EDC a Shadow 2. I would do it if it was my only choice. It will be heavy. It will be bulky.
    I would not worry too much about it not having a FPB. I (and many other people) carry a CZ75 transitional and have never had it fail. Lot's of people carry BHP's, CZ75 preB's everyday without hassle.
    However, I am not blind. I do believe that carrying a pistol with a FPB is safer. Especially if you added an extended firing pin with a lighter firing pin spring, lighter main spring to your shadow 2.....

I am also waiting for the license card to arrive for my P10c which will replace my CZ75 as my EDC gun.

I would NOT EDC Python. Drawing that monster could be problem. Almost as practical as EDC'ing a .50AE Desert Eagle.

Banned

Singh edc'd his Shadow for a while if memory serves correct. Maybe contact him?

User

I have carried my Shadow 1 to the range and back a couple of times and it was not fun at all. The weight I can handle but the skate board tape on the grip and all the edges (rear sight, safety and beaver tail) are very sharp scratchy.

User

You can get the Colt Python for EDC, they selling them at the shop next to the local saloon, you can even use all the recent stagecoach robberies by the James Younger gang as motivation when the sheriff asks why you need it...

Jokes aside, get something built for the EDC task... Any Glock from G19 and smaller, or the CZ P07, P10C...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Singh edc'd his Shadow for a while if memory serves correct. Maybe contact him?
    yes I did it was a really as I was forced to when I sold my then carry gun.
    I will not carry my shadow unless absolutely necessary.

The Shadow 1 or 2 is better than nothing, but really should only be last resort.
    Cons
    Size : heavy, you need a serious belt to carry this fully loaded pistol all day. you may not feel it first but it is after carrying it for a while the weight just becomes irritating.
    Size : dimensions, it is a big gun, stock magazines do not flush fit and add to the height of the pistol. unless your clothing is extremely loose, this gun is going to print and stick out on occasion.
    for me : as the firearm does not have FPB, it should be carried cocked and locked. For me I prefer not having safety on a carry gun. A friend in an IDPA match, has accidentally engaged the safety during the his shoot and that is just from "match pressure".

Pros
    only 1, the pill count. 18/19 +1

Colt Python.
    When I sold my then carry gun (Sig P250) I had choice between a snubby or my shadow to EDC. I after advice on this forum I decided to carry my shadow.
    The python is should only really be an option if you nothing else in your Safe, it is a big gun which only offers 6shots.
    BigT has mentioned it on several threads. EDC is a level of compromise, you need to decide what you want to comprise on.
    ( I hope I summarize it below correctly)
    Smaller gun >conceal-ability Bigger gun >shoot-ability and round count
    What profession are you in that you cannot carry?
    I think there are a number of us on the forumn that are not actually "allowed" to carry a gun due work. I am one of them.
    My sigP250 was replaced with a P01.
    I was still not happy with the concealment level of my P01 so I bought a a g43.
    The 43 is what I carry most of the time, the P01 gets carried when not at work and not even consistently. there are plenty of times when I just carry the G43 the entire time.
    my shadow gets carried on the way to a IDPA match in a OWB holster. Going for a rifle/other range session its the g43 or the P01

If you do not have a carry gun, I suggest you get a carry gun first then a sport gun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast