Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default School me on .22 ammunition.

As my journey into the rimfire world continues, this is my next area I'd like some information on. There are various types of .22lr ammo types available . What are the pros and cons of the different types, subsonic vs standards, Hollow point vs round nose. To focus the question a bit more, using the rifle for Guinea fowl, what would be reccomended ? Do the hollow points give better terminal performance overall?

User

Default Re: School me on .22 ammunition.

I bought some hollow points initially for guineas. Never got round to shoot any. What I do know is the hollow points did not feed well in my straight magazine. I could only load 4 in the mag to get them to feed and even that gave issues sometimes.

Banned

I learned the hard way to keep it "up close and personal" when shooting guinea fowl with a .22 rifle. Don't take chances and do not try taking shots over longer distances. I rarely shoot over 20m nowadays.

Any 22lr ammo will work. As Ds says keep the shots as close as possible. Even the best ammo won't kill it if the shot placement is not right.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Banned

I have found round nose ammo to fall far far behind the hollow point ammo. I have also found standard velocity to be less lethal than high velocity. A perfectly placed shot will kill even with a sub sonic round, but every other shot with a .22 needs as much help as possible. I have really killed a very lot of things with a .22, not as a child growing up with it, but as a adult doing a job of vermin control on reserves and fenced farms.
    We have shot tests before and I will state with out doubt that Geese and Monkeys shot in chest area are often not recovered as they die ten minutes later and far away, same with crows. The same animals shot with H/V hollow points are dead much faster. It does not take much research or shooting to notice the differance between standard round nose and h/v hollow point. The H/V round is some times fractionally less accurate, but it the case of the .22 I would rather shoot live things with HV Hollows and not worry about the half centimeter less group size.

User

Isn't it illegal to shoot game birds with a rifle?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    As far as I know, you are allowed to hunt them with a rifle, but I stand to be corrected.

What will one shoot an ostrich with?

I have shot quite a few Egyptian geese and vervet monkeys on lucern fields with my 300winmag at distances of +-75m to 400m. Now I have the 243win for that.
    i wouldn’t try those long shots with a shotgun or 22lr for that matter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    The farm I was killing Egyptian Geese on I had a vermin exclusion permit all year round.

User

There is no law prohibiting you form shooting birds with a rifle as long as all the other parts of the hunting ordinance are followed

Banned

It is illegal to hunt with a ,22 nation wide. I understand that that has been suspended in the East Cape for vermin animals and all birds.
    .................or ???? - clarify !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast