Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Another which calibre thread.... Yawn.

Ok, so the brand of Firearm is decided upon.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?94165-Remington-783-vs-Howa-1500

Applications are Gong shooting and general Paper punching at locally hosted competitions.

Current/similar calibres: 303 and 223 Rem. Side note: I haven't had opportunity to shoot the 223 out to greater distances to see how it performs. I bought it for my Son so that he can compete alongside me. It is a budget rifle (Norinco) And I'm not expecting exceptional performance at distances greater than 250 m with a crosswind blowing.

Anyway, back to topic. So for R8500 I can upgrade my 303 to a Howa 24" Bull barrel. I shall keep the 303 as a Bushveld hunting rifle and for sentimental reasons (My first rifle)

Now I have to decide between the 2 calibres that I came up with as the 'best calibres' for my intended need.

These be the 243 Win and 308 Win.

I plan on shooting this rifle often. It's difficult to say exactly how much. But let's say about 500 rounds a year give or take. I really can't say exactly.

The 243 is considered a Barrel burner and hence many convert to Ackley theirs for a few reasons. I'm not considering this option ATM.

I want to reload for this prospective rifle and reloading cost is a very big factor for me. The cheaper the better. The more readily available components, the better for me.

I am aware of most of the pros and cons of both calibres. But I'm thinking long run here.

This rifle, my dream rifle since 2013 is now a reality. And I don't want to regret my decision in the near future.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Regards

KZ

User

Default Re: Another which calibre thread.... Yawn.

Any reason you're not considering a 6.5, which IIRC can be had off the shelf in the Howa?

User

I do not own a 308, but I do own a 243win, a 303brit and a 300winmag.
    I brought the 243win for a specialized application, and I wish my 303 was a modern 308.

For your purposes I would take the 308 if not a second 223rem as reloading components are cheaper and more readily available compared to the 243.

You will also be able to enjoy you 308 for the next 10+ years, but you might need to replace your 243 in 5 years time.

My next purchase would be a 308, to replace my 303.

User

I agree, 308 all the way

User

Man, confusing thread this.

The application is gong shooting and paper punching but its in the hunting rifle section.
    Also, the 308 is not the best for this application, since recoil is not the friend of any target shooter, you just need BC, which in the 308 you have to go heavy to achieve, adding to the recoil.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Man, confusing thread this.

The application is gong shooting and paper punching but its in the hunting rifle section.
    Also, the 308 is not the best for this application, since recoil is not the friend of any target shooter, you just need BC, which in the 308 you have to go heavy to achieve, adding to the recoil.
    Which motivates my previous question. My understanding is that almost any of the 6.5s would be a better paper puncher and gong ringer than a 243, at less recoil and fatigue than a 308.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Any reason you're not considering a 6.5, which IIRC can be had off the shelf in the Howa?
    No specific reason. I might just re think my two favourites and add a Creed. Bullets costs basically the same as 30 and 6mm. Brass (Initial cost) is also not a big concern. Die-sets costs the same as most other calibres.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Which motivates my previous question. My understanding is that almost any of the 6.5s would be a better paper puncher and gong ringer than a 243, at less recoil and fatigue than a 308.
    Correct

But in Howa the 243 doesn't make sense either, since it's a 1 in 10 twist if I remember correctly.
    While the 6mm Creedmoor(NOT 6.5) comes in 1 in 7.5, 26" barrel.

THAT is the thing for this very application, the very best.

I'm not inclined to post my thread under Tactical Rifles. I never said I won't hunt with it, just that my 303 will be better suited for short distance Bushveld Hunting. I live on the Highveld. And a 243 or Creed will be the ideal caliber for Blesbuck and Springbuck.

I will reconsider the Creed or even the Swede.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Correct

But in Howa the 243 doesn't make sense either, since it's a 1 in 10 twist if I remember correctly.
    While the 6mm Creedmoor(NOT 6.5) comes in 1 in 7.5, 26" barrel.

THAT is the thing for this very application, the very best.
    Since the Creed was not my top choice when researching, is it only available in that specific twist rate and Muzzle length according to your knowledge ?

The 243 is still a favourite amongst the serious Gong shooters that I've competed with the last few years. If they are planning to move to the Creed, that I never asked them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast