Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
    I do not own a 308, but I do own a 243win, a 303brit and a 300winmag.
    I brought the 243win for a specialized application, and I wish my 303 was a modern 308.

For your purposes I would take the 308 if not a second 223rem as reloading components are cheaper and more readily available compared to the 243.

You will also be able to enjoy you 308 for the next 10+ years, but you might need to replace your 243 in 5 years time.

My next purchase would be a 308, to replace my 303.
    A few weeks ago an "Old Oomie" Brought in a Sako 85 Hunter in 223 Rem. Absolutely spotless. The Gunshop wanted R7500 for it.... I had a very sad face when I left the GS that day....

User

Default Re: Another which calibre thread.... Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Since the Creed was not my top choice when researching, is it only available in that specific twist rate and Muzzle length according to your knowledge ?

The 243 is still a favourite amongst the serious Gong shooters that I've competed with the last few years. If they are planning to move to the Creed, that I never asked them.
    The 6 creed comes in 24" as well, but I would definitely go 26", you don't have to chase velocity you can just lower the pressure and increase barrel life.
    For target shooting the twist is perfect, much more suited to gong shooting because it can properly stabilize them new long high BC bullets.

For hunting the 6mm is perfect for the animals you mentioned.
    The PRS shooters in the states all went over to the 6.5 craze when it happened, now most are going over to 6mm because recoil is less and modern 6mm bullets have very good BC's.

Look I also have a 308 and I got it because it can shoot heavy bullets, making sure big animals stays dead, but for your application the 6mm(243) or 6.5 calibers is the way to go, definitely. Howa started making the 6mm creed, also Lapua making it's brass, because it is taking over.
    I think eventually most people in SA that went the 6.5 craze will go 6mm in the long run, that is my prediction.

Dunno, talk the guys in you club, or at competitions, get all possible opinions.

Thank you Messor.

How are re loading component's availability at this moment in time ?

Unfortunately re loading costs is a big thing for me. Hence I have a knee-jerk reaction to the older calibres and availability of affordable brass and die-sets.

User

The 243 is still a favourite amongst the serious Gong shooters that I've competed with the last few years. If they are planning to move to the Creed, that I never asked them.
    Attend one of the local NRL / PRS matches, see how many guys shoot 243..

Results from a LRS match:

User

Thank you Messor.

How are re loading component's availability at this moment in time ?

Unfortunately re loading costs is a big thing for me. Hence I have a knee-jerk reaction to the older calibres and availability of affordable brass and die-sets.
    Brass is expensive, same price as 6.5 creed, but available, I mean you are going to buy Lapua and nothing else.
    Brass is basically a once off buy since with proper annealing it lasts very long.
    Bullets, well it's 243 bullets.

Well, everything except bullets, primers and powder is a once off buy, this must be in the initial budget.

Nothing wrong with a 308, I have one and love it, it's just not the best for this application.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Brass is expensive, same price as 6.5 creed, but available, I mean you are going to buy Lapua and nothing else.
    Brass is basically a once off buy since with proper annealing it lasts very long.
    Bullets, well it's 243 bullets.

Well, everything except bullets, primers and powder is a once off buy, this must be in the initial budget.

Nothing wrong with a 308, I have one and love it, it's just not the best for this application.
    I really appreciate your input and advice

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Attend one of the local NRL / PRS matches, see how many guys shoot 243..

Results from a LRS match:
    I see....

User

Very informative, thank you.

For the love of me I can'y source a 6mm Creed Howa on the net. Perhaps my Google-Fu is taking a holiday...

Very informative, thank you.

For the love of me I can'y source a 6mm Creed Howa on the net. Perhaps my Google-Fu is taking a holiday...
    They on the way still to SA

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast