Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Bringing Accessories with me from USA (magazines, holsters)

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    You made a statement. It should be an objective statement taking into account what you are talking about and it obviously is not. You have no idea what you are talking about. It is a sweeping and uninformed statement.
    Oh no... I offended someone on the internet because I made a statement that they don't fully understand and now they're being mean to me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockFirst View Post
    Oh no... I offended someone on the internet because I made a statement that they don't fully understand and now they're being mean to me.
    No you made a non factual statement. Its not mark up if the dealer isn't adding it, it's that simple.

You're trying to save a buck , that's cool and all. But your accusing dealers of marking up. If everyone understands it that way, then its you who are mistaken in your description. So maybe you should rephrase your comment.

You're also probably going to expect local dealers to assist you if there's a warranty claim.

For the record it looks like you're going to ignore the majority of comments telling you its a bad idea anyway.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockFirst View Post
    Now you are making a mistake by thinking you can play immature internet games on Gunsite.

You did not offend me in the least.

And I understand exactly.

You made a sweeping incorrect and uninformed statement and that was all initially except that you also refuse to understand and except that.

Now you are starting to make stupid comments - I do not have the patience to suffer your juvenile internet keybord games. Wind it in.

User

Kumba and BigT. Let's clear this up because this is getting out of hand.

1. First of all. My apologies for using the word mark up. I should have used a better word to describe what I meant. This is what I meant: My definition of mark up as it relates to this topic is anything over and above what the US pricing is. I'm not saying it's the dealers marking up their prices for shits and giggles.Maybe you as a dealer have the lowest possible prices and make absolutely no profit. But if your price is R10 over the price I can get it for while in the states, that's a mark up in this case.
    You are welcome to provide an alternative word for me to use that does not cause a stir.

2. Context is important in this whole thread. If I'm in the US and there is opportunity to save money on something (whether that be firearm related, an electronic gadget or a pair of shoes) why not do it while I'm there? But, if I'm local and want to save money it makes sense to go through the local dealers / brick and mortar stores / takealot because otherwise I would need to fork out for plane tickets or international shipping, dealing with SAPO, etc. This is just a case of "while I'm there I might as well"

3. The moment the first few posts coming in suggested this is a bad idea, I decided I'm not going to take a chance. Maybe I should have come out and said that I have decided against it but unfortunately the thread took a turn due to my unfortunate use of the word mark up.

4. If I buy anything overseas, no matter what, I would never expect the local dealer to assist me with a warranty claim. That's just silly to expect.

I really did not intend to offend dealers or accuse them of anything. That was very far from my intent.

Does this make sense to both of you? I am more than happy to clarify anything, otherwise, can we put this behind us?

I am more than happy to make a purchase from each of you to show my support of local dealers if that would help clear the air.

User

1. Taxes, duties, shipping costs. That's what it's called. Shops don't have an option - they HAVE to pay it. Anything more than that is what's called "mark up", and that "mark up" has to pay for their local shipping, salaries, rent, electricity, licenses and permits, etc. etc. They have to eat as well. If you can get it cheaper in the US - fine, but don't complain when everything you bought it confiscated because you want to bypass two of those three legally required expenses.

2. Yes. Get what you can and want, as long as it's legally allowed. Anything more and you're going to end up in trouble sooner or later.

3. Awesome. Good choice.

4. Correcto. Some guys are awesome and will, but it's never to be expected, as this will only cost them time and effort where they never made their own profit on the product.

Just my 2c.

According to TSA website you can bring only a holster, anything else would need permits or are prohibited. I suggest you dont take chances when it comes to the law especially in another country.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4