Default Hunting permit KZN

Hi Guys
    There may be an opportunity for me to hunt on my cousins farm this year, gratis!
    However, he is not sure if there is any legislation/rules/licenses/permits required as the land owner.
    I have assumed that I will need to arrange a hunting permit for myself, but not sure what, if anything, he needs? He is not interested, if i want to shoot there i have to do the admin legwork on his behalf, which i figure is more than fair.
    Likely species are Kudu and Reedbuck.
    I have searched this forum, as well as the SA Hunters, KZN wildlife ad nauseam, and can find nothing relating to the land owner, only the hunter. He is not a licensed game farm, and no money will exchange hands. It is an open farm.
    As i understand it, he provides a letter giving permission to hunt and transport game, and that is his end sorted, but I'm sure there must be some sneaky requirements? I see mention of quotas etc, so it stands to reason that he has to apply for something?
    Form my/the hunter perspective, can i assume that i can only hunt the normal season, even with a special permit? It looks like only the landowner and registered game farms can hunt year round? And i would need the normal hunting license plus a special protected license for both species mentioned?
    The farm is in KZN, as am I, so i dont think i need the permission to import venison permit?
    I'm new to this, so please go easy:)

User

Default Re: Hunting permit KZN

You,the hunter,need a hunting licence.
    You will also need a letter from the land owner giving you permission to hunt on his farm.
    You will also need a letter from the land owner giving you permission to transport the animal carcasses off the farm.
    On an open farm,you need to adhere to the proclamation pertaining to hunting seasons and bag limits.
    You do not need an import venison permit.
    The land owner does not need to apply for any permit as long as you are hunting within the confines of the proclamation.

Kudu and reedbuck are protected game i.t.o. of KZN Ordinance and thus he being the farmer will need a permit (Protected Game Permit) which can be obtained from Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife.

Ordinary game maybe hunted during open season without the need for a permit - grey duiker, bushbuck male & impala are only game species (there are bird species also) which fallin this category.

Open game can be hunted can hunted at anytime of the year without any permit requirements - open game are springbuck and blesbuck.

PM your email and i will send KZN Hunters summary of the Ordinance if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    You,the hunter,need a hunting licence.
    You will also need a letter from the land owner giving you permission to hunt on his farm.
    You will also need a letter from the land owner giving you permission to transport the animal carcasses off the farm.
    On an open farm,you need to adhere to the proclamation pertaining to hunting seasons and bag limits.
    You do not need an import venison permit.
    The land owner does not need to apply for any permit as long as you are hunting within the confines of the proclamation.
    Pre'64, not correct regarding land owner, he will need a permit for Protected game.

User

Thanks chaps..got caught out between EC and KZN requirements.

User

You need a licence, not a permit (normally a game farm is supposed to have permit).
    You should be able to get a licence at KZN hunting association in Pinetown (also other information & their website is helpful).
    The transport letter is to curb poaching - you WANT this.

Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtcase View Post
    You need a licence, not a permit (normally a game farm is supposed to have permit).
    You should be able to get a licence at KZN hunting association in Pinetown (also other information & their website is helpful).
    The transport letter is to curb poaching - you WANT this.

Good luck and have fun.
    He as hunter needs a license - any gun shop in KZN (I work next to Kings if you need help) otherwise KZN Hunters or even KZN Ezemvelo will help with that.

Farmer / landowner needs a permit depending on species. Letter from farmer required which has permit number on it if hunting a protected species.

Think further to my initial post, common reedbuck is a TOPS species (You can confirm with KZN Wildlife or KZN Hunters) so HUNTER will also need a TOPS permit also if hunting this.

KZN Hunters 031 709 3904
    KZN Wildlife 033 845 1652
    Last edited by DaavG; 10-05-2019 at 16:38. Reason: Additional information

User

I think the above have covered it. All I have to add is: You lucky @#$%^&*()
    !!
    :)

Thank you for the detailed replies! You guys are legends!