Default Advice urgently needed

This morning I got a phone call from a person known to me. He called me because he knows my history and figured I might be able to help him. He likes to go off camping alone. He did so after work yesterday. This morning he woke up to find that in the night thieves got into his tent and stole several items including his 38 Spl rollie. Given SAPS poplicy of victimising us at any excuse, and given that nasty clause in the FCA that a police officer above rank of captain can declare us unfit, I am very concerned.

My personal view is that he is the victim of crime, and that he can't be declared unfit because he was not negligent ie he did not leave the gun unattended outside his immediate control.

But it is very worrying. Can anyone recommend a lawyer in the Cape Town area who is familiar with these issues ?

User

Default Re: Advice urgently needed

The facts presented here seems a bit "strange"???. If the firearm was on him while in the tent, how was it stolen off him? If it was lying in the tent next to him it was not technically on his person and negligence may come into consideration. If left in the tent and he was not there, it is a clear case of negligence. Suggest he gets hold of Martin Hood ASAP. I am not sure if they have a CT office but are highly recommend by many. He will need very good lawyer.