Default .300 Win Mag - Back in Business.

A while ago my Howa in .300 win mag developed a problem, groups went from 1 - 1.5 moa to 4 - 6 moa. I cleaned the barrel thoroughly, changed the scope and then the stock but the problem persisted. The same thing happened a few years ago and I had the rifle rebarreled. While the rifle shot well with the new barrel, the chamber was very tight, the rifle would only chamber certain makes of cases.

This time I sent the rifle to a different smith, he set the barrel back and rechambered. The Howa now feeds all makes of (.300 win mag) rounds and cases that I have tried. It also shoots well again. The smith reckons that I will get at least 500 more accurate shots from the barrel, I am somewhat skeptical about that but time will tell.

Banned

Default Re: .300 Win Mag - Back in Business.

You mentioned in a previous thread that this was your working rifle. Which scope do you have on her now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    You mentioned in a previous thread that this was your working rifle. Which scope do you have on her now?
    Currently I have a 20 year old Leupold Vari X-I 3-9x40 on it. This is a spare scope that has spent time on many different rifles, often those of hunting clients whose scopes gave problems while hunting. Prior to that the rifle wore a Vari X-III 1.75-6x32 but I managed to lose the zoom ring nut while hunting and am currently searching for a replacement nut. I am waiting for a VX-6 3-18x44 (identical to the one on my Creedmoor) that is coming in with a client and which will go on the .300 until the barrel dies.

Banned

Thanks, just out of interest: how does one use the 18x magnification in a hunting environment?

To rephrase the question: does the 3-18x offer so much more than the 3-9x magnification for hunting purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Thanks, just out of interest: how does one use the 18x magnification in a hunting environment?

To rephrase the question: does the 3-18x offer so much more than the 3-9x magnification for hunting purposes?
    I never use it at 18x while hunting, I do most of my shooting at 9x. However, 18x is nice when testing ammunition or sighting in at the range.