Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Educated opinions and experience with Peregrine monolithic bullets

How does the different bullet masses of the monolithic and the lead core bonded bullets compare to eachother? Say if you were to compare a 165gr mono to the 168gr bonded bullet? According to Peregrine's website the mono bullets "punch above their weight" or is that just marketing hoodoo

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    My rifle is1/12 inch twist other than that same rifle.
    I load 180gr Aframes or 180gr partitions for bushveld hunting with it.

I cannot comment on peregrine monos but I have tried Barnes 165grns TTX. The monos are usually long bullets.
    I battled to get speed from the 165gr Barnes TTX, I do not have the load data with me but I recall getting the 180gr flat base bullets to run at similar speeds as the 165gr mono.
    I am n big fan of loading one load development and then sticking to that specific load with the same bullet weights for whatever animal I want to hunt. The 165gr seams like a good balance between weight and speed, I will give the 180's a go as well and see how they perform. But I suspect in the 20" barrel the speeds on the 180gr bullets might be a bit on the slow side for medium range shots on game. I am not sure yet. This will be my first rifle for which I do load development so there is still much to learn

User

Good bullets IMHO , I use the VG2 and VRG3 in my 375,416 and 458
    I have experienced some bullet break ups in my 375 however i am still happy with them .

i use a 250g in my 375 for most PG hunting and have taken several Buffalo with the .416 340g .
    in the 458 Lott i load a 450g .

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Yes, in 7x57 140 gr. I have shot 2 warthog, 2 impala a young black wildebeest and a young eland bull with it. Not a large sample, but penetration was good, all were one shot kills and there was plenty of bleeding from both entry and exit wounds (the bullet punch an impressive entry hole). All 6 animals were shot at 200m or less.
    Thanks, I will give them some serious consideration as well. Any comments about meat damage with these bullets? Should be less thant spitzer shaped bullets I imagine?

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    I have to say that if GSC do not get their stuff together I will give Peregrine another go.
    When that happens please let me know, I've got a paid for order outstanding from GS Custom since 2017. I'll never use their product again, and I'll never recommend them to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    How does the different bullet masses of the monolithic and the lead core bonded bullets compare to eachother?
    I've got a .308 136 grain bullet fired into a 20mm mild steel plate at 100 meters. Velocity was around 3200 fps from my 308 Norma. The bullet embedded 12mm into the plate, and turned inside out. It looks like a thimble, and it weighs 135.5 grains now.

That was a GS Custom. Peregrine is made from the same copper alloy, so you can expect excellent weight retention.

Although lead core bonded bullets retain a large percentage of their weight, you would need approximately a 180 grain lead core hunting bullet to end up with 135 grains after penetration.

User

I have not tried Peregrine on a live target yet as I have not had enough confidence in the accuracy of my loads yet, but they have done similar to the GSC when fired into mild steel gongs and when fired into sand.

GSC does great when hunting, I have only ever recovered 2 GSC bullets, a 130 gr. 308 for a Blouwilde bees that went in straight from the front into its chest and traveled most of the way through, and a 35gr from a. 22 Hornet that had broken the front shoulder, went through the chest cavity and broke the other shoulder and then remained in that broken shoulder of a Springbok.

The wasted meat from all that did not fill a dessert spoon, I love the concept of the copper bullets, also no small peaces of poisonous lead distributed through your meat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    I have not tried Peregrine on a live target yet as I have not had enough confidence in the accuracy of my loads yet, but they have done similar to the GSC when fired into mild steel gongs and when fired into sand.

GSC does great when hunting, I have only ever recovered 2 GSC bullets, a 130 gr. 308 for a Blouwilde bees that went in straight from the front into its chest and traveled most of the way through, and a 35gr from a. 22 Hornet that had broken the front shoulder, went through the chest cavity and broke the other shoulder and then remained in that broken shoulder of a Springbok.

The wasted meat from all that did not fill a dessert spoon, I love the concept of the copper bullets, also no small peaces of poisonous lead distributed through your meat.
    Thank you very much for all the info and advice, I will give it some serious consideration when the time comes to make a decision. I would very much like to support a local company, because as you know local is lekker

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Thank you very much for all the info and advice, I will give it some serious consideration when the time comes to make a decision. I would very much like to support a local company, because as you know local is lekker

Peregrine gives excellent customer support, no customer is too small to matter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Peregrine gives excellent customer support, no customer is too small to matter.
    This is a absolute truth - they seriously strive to treat you like a big spender. The Hog bullet range they have comes from the .458 2 inch we built. They did not have a suitable bullet for it and we came up with ideas - they made they sent I used I reported back and they changed. Eventually we got my bullet. They are fantastic guys - albeit I can not see why a local product is so costly

Banned

I started using Goodnel bullets in the 90's. Sometimes they worked well, but I had a few cases where the animals took some time in expiring. With the newer designed mono bullets the slow expiring has been reduced with softer copper that opens up much easier.

I have used Barnes, Frontier Spartan and GSC to hunt with. All have given good results. Barnes remains my favorite due to better wound characteristics. I have shot 75gr VRG5 to guage accuracy potential in my 243AI. Still needs experimentation, but initial groups looked promising. I am also experimenting with Kriek bullets and have seen some good results on paper. I have not used them in hunting as yet.

Meat damage is much less than with lead core bullets and blood in the tissue is not snotty and can be easlily removed.

The OP uses a 20 inch 308. Here I would advise bullets in the 120-130gr range to get speed and better expansion. With the longer (heavier) bullets stabilisation becomes a problem and a mono that tumbles creates serious blood on the impact side.

I use 150gr TSX in my 30-06 with 22 inch barrel to get on a node at 2860fps. Works for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast