View Poll Results: .22lr scope magnification

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2-7x32

    10 43.48%
  • 3-9x38

    13 56.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Under the Jackalberry.
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,027

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    It all depends...

    On a lightweight 22 rifle used mostly in the field and not much beyond 75m I would go for the 2-7x32.

    On a medium weight 22 used on small varmints and for competition shooting, the 3-9x would be the better choice. I would opt for a scope with adjustable paralax. If that's not an option, paralax should be fixed at between 50 and 75m.

    On a heavy 22 rifle, something in the 4-16x range (or more) with adjustable paralax would not be out of place.

  2. #12

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I don't have a .22LR, but the .22 LR's effective range is of such a nature that a 9x scope would be useless on it. Or do you plan on shooting ~500m+ with the .22LR? I would be more than happy to shoot up to 500m with a 9x scope, granted the clarity is of such quality that I can effectively see the target. IMO the .22LR starts to lose out after about 100m, with it's effective range being around 150m before it starts to drop so fast that it becomes impractical to try and calculate for it.

    Honestly, I would fit a good 2-7 scope on it, max. Even better, I would fit an even smaller magnification, something like a 1.5-6 on there with a good reticle and good clarity. Rather get all you can out of the rifle at 100m than spend unneeded money on a scope you're not going to use.

    That being said, considering rimfire scopes are so cheap, spending that extra R500 on a 3-9x40 might not be the worst idea ever. What's your budget on a scope?
    With respect, I would advise you to spend more time with a .22lr before making statements like “9x scope would be useless”. You cannot use 500m shooting center fire criteria on the .22.
    To the Op, I see you mention it can be fun to push distances, I have to agree! Getting hits between 150m to 200 with a .22 is awesome. If so, don’t limit your optic choice to low magnification. Something with higher magnification is brilliant on the range where you can see the holes as well as making smaller shots on the smaller targets available. With extra zoom, most definitely be something with adjustable paralex. I have found it to be not such a great issue on the smaller magnification scopes. The use will dictate the choice. Not relevant to the OP intended use, but with the correct scope you can have a lot of fun diallling in for the longer shots. There are a few series being run abroad for precision 22 and 200 had challenges. The best thing about it, you can get of at relatively low cost. My setup consists of a 3-12 with hold over reticle and adjustable paralax. I use it for both mynahs/rats and messing around further out. My 10/22 has a red dot, used up to 50m only on steel. Going way low on magnification will limit you. Have fun!

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,578

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    Again, I would rather spend money on proper optical clarity and proper accuracy than getting higher magnification. FFP scopes also come to mind. I wouldn't fit a 16x scope on a .22lr to shoot 200m with, but maybe that's just me.

  4. #14

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Again, I would rather spend money on proper optical clarity and proper accuracy than getting higher magnification. FFP scopes also come to mind. I wouldn't fit a 16x scope on a .22lr to shoot 200m with, but maybe that's just me.
    Again, I think you advising on a topic with little to no practical experience.

  5. #15
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    2,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    With respect, I would advise you to spend more time with a .22lr before making statements like “9x scope would be useless”. You cannot use 500m shooting center fire criteria on the .22.
    To the Op, I see you mention it can be fun to push distances, I have to agree! Getting hits between 150m to 200 with a .22 is awesome. If so, don’t limit your optic choice to low magnification. Something with higher magnification is brilliant on the range where you can see the holes as well as making smaller shots on the smaller targets available. With extra zoom, most definitely be something with adjustable paralex. I have found it to be not such a great issue on the smaller magnification scopes. The use will dictate the choice. Not relevant to the OP intended use, but with the correct scope you can have a lot of fun diallling in for the longer shots. There are a few series being run abroad for precision 22 and 200 had challenges. The best thing about it, you can get of at relatively low cost. My setup consists of a 3-12 with hold over reticle and adjustable paralax. I use it for both mynahs/rats and messing around further out. My 10/22 has a red dot, used up to 50m only on steel. Going way low on magnification will limit you. Have fun!
    As a new .22 lr owner, the "long range " rimfire sessions sound interesting. Quick search and I found this.
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/rimfire-tactical-precision-match/

  6. #16

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    I am very impressed with the Vx freedom line of rimfire scopes. Leupold quality and clarity. Got a 25 moa reticle for longer shots.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: .22 scope magnification reccomendation

    Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    I am very impressed with the Vx freedom line of rimfire scopes. Leupold quality and clarity. Got a 25 moa reticle for longer shots.
    I also have the rimfire version and love it! Form follows function decide on what you want do with the rifle and buy a scope accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •