Default Competency Expiry

Another thread raised a few questions on competencies

1. Knowledge of the FCA: does it have an expiry date.
    2. Competencies: expiry. The document itself has no mention of it and I cannot recall a description of it in the courses I took. The DFO says they do expire but they try to link them to the license dates?? On their system they do have an expiry date.
    3. Does Saps inform you about it like with the license?

User

Default Re: Competency Expiry

No 3 no. I was not informed via SMS that my competency is going to expire.

User

1. Knowledge of the FCA: does it have an expiry date. No
    2. Competencies: expiry. The document itself has no mention of it and I cannot recall a description of it in the courses I took. The DFO says they do expire but they try to link them to the license dates?? On their system they do have an expiry date. Your comp is valid for the same period as the licence to which it applies.
    3. Does Saps inform you about it like with the license?seriously doubt it.Can't say, but doubt it

Thx for the feedback, competencies seem to be a special mystery in the mysterious world of the CFR

If a competency is valid for the duration of a the license for that specific firearm type then if I keep on buying firearms in regular intervals then in theory my competencies would never expire. My wife is going to divorce me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Your comp is valid for the same period as the licence to which it applies.
    Except that in practice this makes no sense at all. Whoever wrote the FCA clearly didn't think it through.

When you do competency, you can do it for handgun, shotgun, rifle and self loading rifle. There is no such license. You can however get a license for self defense, sport shooting and hunting. There is no correlation between the competency and the license.

For example, I have a competency certificate with all 4 categories on it. When does it expire? 2 years as per SLR, 5 years for self defense or 10 years for the rest?

And then the next mess will be, when I have my pistol licensed, all the other competencies should stay valid since it is one certificate, even though I don't own a shotgun or a rifle. And if I license a rifle after 8 years, my competency stays valid for the next 10 years since I have a license. But some DFO's will force you to renew your competency before renewing your pistol license.

So there is really no clear answer.