Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Did you work through the local SA representative?
    Yes, I did at the time. I needed a pair urgently for an upcoming shoot and the agent told me the UK made ones are better, but takes longer, however he will get a local pair made in time for my shoot.
    It took a few weeks to get the UK ones back but they are so worth it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Yes, I did at the time. I needed a pair urgently for an upcoming shoot and the agent told me the UK made ones are better, but takes longer, however he will get a local pair made in time for my shoot.
    It took a few weeks to get the UK ones back but they are so worth it.
    I worked through the local guy and he stuffed me around for about 2 months after the molds were made and he had his money. After that the quality is of such standard I will not use him/that company anymore. Maybe the luck of the draw.

User

Default Re: In Ear Hearing Protection

I worked through the local guy and he stuffed me around for about 2 months after the molds were made and he had his money. After that the quality is of such standard I will not use him/that company anymore. Maybe the luck of the draw.
    How long ago was that Vaal?

User

Quote Originally Posted by McD2304 View Post
    How long ago was that Vaal?
    It was about mid 2014.

User

I don’t blame you and like I said the locally made moulds aren’t great. The UK made ones are different and of great quality. If I was CENS, I wouldn’t let an agent offer such a product - perhaps they aren’t even aware of it?
    Anyway, I would just deal with the UK directly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Boerboel View Post
    Ok couple of things. For the guys that don't know me, I am a Hearing Aid Acoustician, simular to an Audiologist, basically test hearing and fit hearing instruments and related products.

I am almost sure that I posted this article, that I did for Sport Shooter Mag here. Can't seem to find it. I am going to post this link here, if I may and will do a post later for Gunsite.

https://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=57329

I use the custom electronic ones, I get them from a different supplier than mentioned on this tread. I can be on the range the whole day and they won't bother me, the impression has to be properly taken, they have to be properly made.
    I have the passive ones as well, and the do work well, but if you have a slight hearing loss, you might battle to hear sound. Please read the article.
    Hi so I've been looking into this.
    I would highly appreciate your feedback. I would like an electronic in ear protection, because simply earmuffs irritate me and squeeze my head and are uncomfortable. Although I haven't tried the MSA Sordin, however at a whopping R3,732. Without the gel ear pads, maybe spending around R1600.00 on in ear electronic protection isn't too bad. I would like to find out which company you made use of ? Which model did you get ? The pricing and process involved ?
    I've emailed a few companies these are the responses I got.

Noiseban.co.za : Our passive filters will be the Noise-Ban Elite, Custom or Soft Please see information pages on each.
    Noise-Ban Elite – R998.00 excluding VAT
    Noise-Ban Custom – R950.00 excluding VAT
    Noise-Ban Soft – R1095.00 excluding VAT
    The Shooter Plugs with an active filter that works with a size 10 battery. The Shooter Plugs R9500,00 including VAT.

Noiseclipper.co.za: The best option would be the MEP 2G combo with stop gun filter. The set is R 1 170.00 Vat excl.

Earinstitute.co.za (Fourways): We have two options which we can look at for you.
    The first is just a normal silicone ear plug which is made according to your ear and should cut out most of the noise around you, the cost of that would be approximately R 850.00
    The second option is also a silicone ear plug but it has a static filter that will only cut out a certain amount of noise (between 15dB and 30dB depending on which filter we put into the ear plug) but will still allow you to hear some noise around you, that will be approximately R 1 300.00.

Shooterears.com: All our custom electronic units give the same amount of hearing protection.
    The CENS Mino, which is a generic fit unit gives SNR31 which is very good compared to the custom range at SNR25.
    The down side to the Mino is the battery life, basically you will replace batteries every weekend. The cost of the Mino is R6000
    The passives cost R1200.
    If it was me, I would consider either the Mino or the Cens Proflex 1e. The 1e is also R6000.
    It has 4 volume levels and we have added a backup in line filter meaning should your batteries fail, there is a filter in place, so effectively giving you a passive.

User

My opinion still is stay away from CENS. Originally got a E1 from local guys - did not work at all and had a high pitch interference. After fighting with them for 3 months I got a replacement Proflex Digital straight from the UK. You can only use the batteries once, by the next weekend they are dead. They also tend to move around when you go prone, put my cheek against butt stock and I can hear the gap and the shots getting louder. Mostly use them without batteries now. I work a lot in the petrochemical industries and I must say for passives they do not perform any better than than you cheap in-ear plugs used in industry. They are however a tad more comfortable. R 4 500 for a bit more comfort for 2 - 3 hour range day does not make sense anymore. CENS does not make sense.... My 2c :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    The second option is also a silicone ear plug but it has a static filter that will only cut out a certain amount of noise (between 15dB and 30dB depending on which filter we put into the ear plug) but will still allow you to hear some noise around you, that will be approximately R 1 300.00.

I ended up basically buying some of these at my local Audiologist, they took molds, I chose a filter, the Yellow one I think, a week later I had them.

I took then with my normal ear pro to the SADPA Northern Nationals, it was a dream to use them and leave the normal muffs in the range bag for the whole match. I have been using them exclusively since then, and take the muffs with me just as a back up. I think it would be great to have electronics, but at the cost of decent electronics I don't think it is worth it. So I would definitely recommend these.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Having been through the CENS (actually their local agents) trouble ...

Had a great meeting with the guys from Super-ears at the SA Game Fair show last Saturday. We (GOSA and Super-ears) will be working together in future. The Vario Revolution in-ear heraing protection solves a bunch of problems. They also turn themselves off when not in use to save batteries!

Wait for the announcement, but early indications is that they will give a free one year GOSA Gold membership with every pair sold.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Do you have a link?
    Googlefu is weak on a Tuesday
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Having been through the CENS (actually their local agents) trouble ...

Had a great meeting with the guys from Super-ears at the SA Game Fair show last Saturday. We (GOSA and Super-ears) will be working together in future. The Vario Revolution in-ear heraing protection solves a bunch of problems. They also turn themselves off when not in use to save batteries!

Wait for the announcement, but early indications is that they will give a free one year GOSA Gold membership with every pair sold.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast