Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: In Ear Hearing Protection

I have some slight hearing loss and opted for the CENS products. Started with the Digital 1E and it was horrible. Fitment was not 100% and it had a terrible high frequency noise. Sent it back and took almost 2 months to get a proper response. There was at the time an issue with the 1E (the cheapest one which still cost R3500) - so they upgraded me to the normal Digital 1. This one worked great, especially the sound amplification when hunting.
    I do have a complaint that the batteries die one you used them - for instance if I put in a new set for range session and remove them afterwards they are still dead by the next session. So now I use it passively and install batteries only when I need to hear range commands or when hunting. That kind of defeats the purpose.
    All in all they are great, but given the price it was not worth it in the end for me. Given the bad taste left after the first set and the amount of fights it required to get it fixed and the evil eye I received when I walked into the unnamed person at Huntex I would not do it again.
    Rather get molded passive set (way cheaper) and if you require electronic ones get the muffs (still a 5th of the price of the CENS ones).

User

Chatting to the gent at CENS he reckoned that for IPSC/IDPA they are not really enough. There is still transition of noise via other means.

User

For custom molded models, search between Variphone, Noise Clipper and Noise Ban.

User

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    I have some slight hearing loss and opted for the CENS products. Started with the Digital 1E and it was horrible. Fitment was not 100% and it had a terrible high frequency noise. Sent it back and took almost 2 months to get a proper response. There was at the time an issue with the 1E (the cheapest one which still cost R3500) - so they upgraded me to the normal Digital 1. This one worked great, especially the sound amplification when hunting.
    I do have a complaint that the batteries die one you used them - for instance if I put in a new set for range session and remove them afterwards they are still dead by the next session. So now I use it passively and install batteries only when I need to hear range commands or when hunting. That kind of defeats the purpose.
    All in all they are great, but given the price it was not worth it in the end for me. Given the bad taste left after the first set and the amount of fights it required to get it fixed and the evil eye I received when I walked into the unnamed person at Huntex I would not do it again.
    Rather get molded passive set (way cheaper) and if you require electronic ones get the muffs (still a 5th of the price of the CENS ones).
    I fully agree. I had the same problems.

Prestik works really well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Prestik works really well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    No denying it.I did say it worked really well:-). Cheap too. I actually use this in conjunction with electronic ear muffs. In ear electronic are better but they can really cost.

User

I have moved over to some passive Variphone custom in ear protection a few months ago. Yes, for indoor stuff ddcent ear muffs do protect a bit more, but for the outdoor stuff, I am more than happy. Way more comfortable than muffs, no more headache etc. You can PM me for some contact details on that Variphone's if interested.

User

FNBrowning. Interesting. How does it compare to plugs and what type of shooting do you do? I may just take the plunge and buy a box. Might get it cheap on a back to school special.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast