Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: In Ear Hearing Protection

Do you have the ones with the "filter" that allows normal speach to still be heard but blocks impulse sound?

If I may ask what sort of price are they going for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocked View Post
    I have moved over to some passive Variphone custom in ear protection a few months ago. Yes, for indoor stuff ddcent ear muffs do protect a bit more, but for the outdoor stuff, I am more than happy. Way more comfortable than muffs, no more headache etc. You can PM me for some contact details on that Variphone's if interested.
    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have three pairs of CENS custom in ear protection which is really a waste of money and quyite frankly don't work as advertised.

I have a pair of electronic in ear moulded CENS as well as 2 sets of passives that were made with filters that are also a waste of money.

It was also a futile excercise to try to convince the guy from CENS mentioned here in this thread previously that they were not doing as what I was told they would do and that was to protect my hearing.

In ears are comfortable and convenient but never as affective as proper ear muffs in covering the inside and outside of the ear especially the bony parts that in ears don't reach.

I found out the hard way as I was using the CENS in ears on a pigeon shoot where I shot 500 rounds of 12gauge ammunition in one day.
    The next day I was deaf in the one ear and the other one was ringing as if I had tinnitus.

My wife insisted I visit an Audiologists and after an extensive and exhausting consultation and tests at the audiologists it was quite evident that the CENS in ear protection was insufficient and not effective at all.

It took me 5 weeks more to recover so that I could hear normally again without hearing millions of sun beetle chattering in my ears anymore.

I use passive moulds made by the audiologist together with proper quality passive ear muffs. I have the Peltor Bulls Eye and the Honeywell Passive ear muffs which are great and are NOT electronic ear muffs.

I Can't hear a thing when wearing them on the range but that is exactly how I like it and how I also know that they are working well and doing what I expect from them.

Go and ask your Audiologist for a pair of perfect fit passives as they know better than anyone out there and at the same time have your hearing tested as it will be way cheaper too than purchasing electronic ear protection that costs an arm and a leg and does not work very well.
    You could even have the test done on your medical aid too.

You would not call an electrician to unblock your drain would you???

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I have three pairs of CENS custom in ear protection which is really a waste of money and quyite frankly don't work as advertised.

I have a pair of electronic in ear moulded CENS as well as 2 sets of passives that were made with filters that are also a waste of money.

It was also a futile excercise to try to convince the guy from CENS mentioned here in this thread previously that they were not doing as what I was told they would do and that was to protect my hearing.

In ears are comfortable and convenient but never as affective as proper ear muffs in covering the inside and outside of the ear especially the bony parts that in ears don't reach.

I found out the hard way as I was using the CENS in ears on a pigeon shoot where I shot 500 rounds of 12gauge ammunition in one day.
    The next day I was deaf in the one ear and the other one was ringing as if I had tinnitus.

My wife insisted I visit an Audiologists and after an extensive and exhausting consultation and tests at the audiologists it was quite evident that the CENS in ear protection was insufficient and not effective at all.

It took me 5 weeks more to recover so that I could hear normally again without hearing millions of sun beetle chattering in my ears anymore.

I use passive moulds made by the audiologist together with proper quality passive ear muffs. I have the Peltor Bulls Eye and the Honeywell Passive ear muffs which are great and are NOT electronic ear muffs.

I Can't hear a thing when wearing them on the range but that is exactly how I like it and how I also know that they are working well and doing what I expect from them.

Go and ask your Audiologist for a pair of perfect fit passives as they know better than anyone out there and at the same time have your hearing tested as it will be way cheaper too than purchasing electronic ear protection that costs an arm and a leg and does not work very well.

Very informative thanks, I will also pay the Audiologist a visit.

User

I think Ear institute had the noise ban on display at Huntex.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    Do you have the ones with the "filter" that allows normal speach to still be heard but blocks impulse sound?

If I may ask what sort of price are they going for?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Correct yes. There is a passive reduction in overall sound, and then a second passive filter for impulse reduction, over 80db iirc. I got mine for R1600, and it is custom moulded for your ears.

User

On the topic of hearing and hearing loss, here's some science behind why it is important to wear good quality ear protection.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-...otection/#toc0

PS: not sure if the link is coming through correctly; but what you're looking for is the section toward the middle of the page that's titled 'The Research'.

As has been said on the forum time and again hearing loss is cumulative!

User

So basically what I gather from all of these responses is that electronic in ear protection is not really worth the money spent on them, it is in essence then better to get passive in ear protection and combine that with a decent set of ear muffs, luckily I already have the ear muffs sorted.

I was looking at getting these originally: https://www.earinstitute.co.za/3m-pe...ng-protection/ they are 9K which is super expensive, but so far I have heard no convincing arguments that something like this would be worth it...

User

Ok couple of things. For the guys that don't know me, I am a Hearing Aid Acoustician, simular to an Audiologist, basically test hearing and fit hearing instruments and related products.

I am almost sure that I posted this article, that I did for Sport Shooter Mag here. Can't seem to find it. I am going to post this link here, if I may and will do a post later for Gunsite.

https://www.jaracal.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=57329

I use the custom electronic ones, I get them from a different supplier than mentioned on this tread. I can be on the range the whole day and they won't bother me, the impression has to be properly taken, they have to be properly made.
    I have the passive ones as well, and the do work well, but if you have a slight hearing loss, you might battle to hear sound. Please read the article.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

My experience with CENS has been the opposite of yours. I’ve found them extremely convenient, especially for wing-shooting where ear muffs often interfere with shouldering the gun, and I have never had any issues after wearing them - I do get an annual check-up and have had no hearing loss during the last 5 years since using them.

Importantly, you need to find a good audiologist to take the moulds and also get all the wax removed from your ears before you get the moulds poured. I would also suggest you get them shipped to CENS in the UK as the locally produced one is more like a silicone with the UK made one a lovely material that just feels and fits a lot better. For example, a friend had the first pair made locally and it wasn’t a good fit - the second pair, made in the UK was superb, just like mine.

I exclusively use my CENS for all outside shooting, except for range shooting, especially at our long range where guys use ultra high calibers and you sit almost shoulder to shoulder, I prefer to wear a pair of electronic ear muffs over the CENS.

The only negative to CENS is the initial cost and from there they are all smiles and a superb product.

Incidentally, if you hate them so much how did you end up with three sets, especially since they are very expensive?

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    My experience with CENS has been the opposite of yours. I’ve found them extremely convenient, especially for wing-shooting where ear muffs often interfere with shouldering the gun, and I have never had any issues after wearing them - I do get an annual check-up and have had no hearing loss during the last 5 years since using them.

Importantly, you need to find a good audiologist to take the moulds and I would also suggest you get them shipped to CENS in the UK as the locally produced one is more like a silicone with the UK made one made from a lovely material that just feels and fits a lot better. For example, a friend had the first pair made locally and it wasn’t a good fit - the second pair, made in the UK was superb, just like mine.

I exclusively use my CENS for all outside shooting, except for range shooting, especially at our long range where guys use ultra high calibers and you sit almost shoulder to shoulder I prefer to wear a pair of electronic ear muffs over the CENS.

The only negative to CENS is the initial cost and from there they are all smiles and a superb product.
    Did you work through the local SA representative?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast