Banned

Default I have no desire to hunt this animal

Default Re: I have no desire to hunt this animal

Is that an Ibex?
    I understand you have to be really fit to hunt them!

Banned

Yes I been reading quiet bit on the "hunts" they do for them - to say hard work is a under statement, its the kinda hunt that money can not buy you easier.The hunt is finding the animal - this the guides have already done for you. They can not walk to the animal for you, and this is evidently primeval at a real level. They are shot at immense distances and there is much discussion to caliber choice - figures around 5/700 yards are bandied about.
    Just seems like long range target shooting. Why I say I have no desire to hunt it is because of how it lives and where - what it does every day just to live. You must see the footage of where they live and how they work to feed, incredible !. Then to shoot it from so far just because you can ?, its a shoot for trophy animal in mostly places where western hunters do not live or want to live - fly in shoot fly out.
    Just one of those animals I admire too much !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That said, if I lived there - would I talk the same talk ?

Banned

I have no desire to hunt any animal and shoot (at) it from 500-1000 yards like some of these guys on video. That is not hunting. Just spotting and shooting (sniping). No stalk, playing the wind, or other hunting techniques. Instead of wasting an animal for their egos, these guys should shoot steel gongs with their $8000 optics and rifles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    I have no desire to hunt any animal and shoot (at) it from 500-1000 yards like some of these guys on video. That is not hunting. Just spotting and shooting (sniping). No stalk, playing the wind, or other hunting techniques. Instead of wasting an animal for their egos, these guys should shoot steel gongs with their $8000 optics and rifles.
    .................. an you a Yank, mmmnnn kinda surprising response from that quarter of the world ( no derogation meant ). Just kinda thought the US of A was the home of this kinda hunting, just goes to show. Thanks for input Patocazador.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    .................. an you a Yank, mmmnnn kinda surprising response from that quarter of the world ( no derogation meant ). Just kinda thought the US of A was the home of this kinda hunting, just goes to show. Thanks for input Patocazador.
    The are lots of South Africans getting into long range hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    The are lots of South Africans getting into long range hunting.
    The long range shooting is some thing that has interested me for ages, never met a hunter who has not got a story of his 350 m shot or what ever long shot, but planned long distance shot hunting is shooting. The one farm I go to we try for hog across the valley at 300 - 500 m abouts, sometimes like 20 mins goes into a shot.
    my desire for not wanting to shoot that cliff dweller is more because of what it goes through to survive, I just respect it too much, more than the respect for my normal prey. Such a incredible will to thrive survive and just be, to over come all that and then be killed by a predator thats as unnatural as a 600 m shot, just seems wrong - basic unfair wrong

User

Treeman. Seriously. Stop posting so much.

Type a response

Walk away from the computer.

Think. “Do I want to share this?”

“Do I need to share this ?”

If yes to both. Wait an hour or three.

Then. Maybe. Maybe post.

+1

User

Amazing how those ibex have adapted to that environment. If I had the time and money to hunt one then I would do it in a heartbeat. Looking at the terrain, it looks like it would be a real challenge. Certainly, there would be some areas/paths where I would refuse to go because I think I would be too afraid of falling. I would make that known to the Outfitter / Guide upfront. I would also make it known that I am not a long range shooter. 200m is far for me. My average distance at which I have shot all my game is +-65m (I keep records) which indicates that I like getting close and I'm not interested in long range shooting. As I said, if I had the time and money to keep going back until I got my sub 200m Ibex then I would do it. The money I pay would go into conserving the ibex anyway so that ibex hunting remained sustainable. Regardless of how different species may have adapted to their environment and how harsh that environment may be I think I would be prepared to hunt any species provided that it was legal, sustainable and it could be done by my own personal definition of fair chase.