Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Difference between a Galil R4 and a AR223

Good Day

Yes as you can see my description might be so wrong...because I don't know...

so pse help

What would the difference be between a Galil R4 and a of the shelf AR in 223 ito combat, and yes fitting a picatinny rail to a R4, scope etc..

Pse guide me..I am looking at a Galil R4 purely for what is was made for.

Thank you.

User

Default Re: Difference between a Galil R4 and a AR223

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Good Day

so pse help

What would the difference be between a Galil R4 and a of the shelf AR in 223 ito combat, and yes fitting a picatinny rail to a R4, scope etc..

Thank you.
    I can't speak for combat use but as an AR owner and ex LM5 owner here is my opinion: if you want to fit accessories or red dots etc(or want it for sport shooting) then the AR is by far the way to go. But then again IMO the AR edges out the LM/R4 in all areas.

I had a LM5 fitted with one of those rail systems and it adds way too much bulk and weight and not to mention cleaning it with the rail system is a PITA. But the LM's are NICE for what they are but given the choice between the 2 I'll take the ar everytime.

LM's are way over priced for what they are because of the emotional attachement that we as South Africans have for them IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

Purely what it was made for?

You need to elaborate what you want to use it for and how you are going to license it?

User

Thank you.
    It was made as an open sighted rifle, why do you want to put a rail and scope on it.

User

In general terms, and not referring to a specific one of the many models of AR's available:

The Galil seems quite rugged. Not unbreakable, but close. The local R4 was beefed up in certain key areas. It is also heavier, since it is made of steel.

The AR is lighter and more ergonomic, except for the cocking handle that sits in the worst possible place. Scope mounting is positive and easy. Generally, the AR will also shoot "softer", meaning less percieved recoil. This is primarily due to the lower weight of the BCG.

The Galils available currently are quite well priced, but since they are well used, I have my doubts about their usefullness. Have it shecked out properly before you commit.

User

Sport Shooting or combat = AR easier platform to use and tailor to your needs.

Galils / R4 rugged and tuff, no frills, its an old 2.2 hilux 4x4. It gets the jobe done, but it was valid in 1992. Now you can buy a V8 land cruiser

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Banned

Which parts on the two types are more likely to cause trouble, break, or need replacing/repair?

To rephrase: which of the two is more likely to keep on going?

The AR has proven itself in the Near East harsh environment; the Galil proved itself in Israel and the R4 proved itself during the Bush War.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Which parts on the two types are more likely to cause trouble, break, or need replacing/repair?

The AR has proven itself in the Near East harsh environment; the Galil proved itself in Israel and the R4 proved itself during the Bush War.
    Don't forget the Far East as well. The AR did not fail as the issues were ammo related not weapon related.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

If both were brand new and going for the same price, I would guess the Galil would be the tougher rifle to mess up. If.

I suppose that AR parts will be more available in future, so keeping it going won't be an issue, even if you do manage to break it.

But now we are comparing a R12k used / refurbished Galil with a R18?k brand new AR. Not quite comparable.

If you are familiar with the R4, can strip and reasemble them blindfolded in 30 seconds and have a box full of mags under your bed, then the Galil is the obvious choice. You will have fond memories of a cheeky Corporal chasing you around and causing much pain and agony, with one of these in your hands.

If you want to mount optics, then go for the AR.

I have a scope mounted on my LM. It works, bit is not an ideal setup. I chose it because at the price I got it for, I would take another one any time.

Another option to consider is the locally made Tusker MTR. Saw them displayed at the Nobleteq stall at Huntex. This thing is comparable to much more expensive rifles.

User

Good Day

so pse help

Thank you.

Sorry man, but what exactly is the question?

There is no such thing as a Galil R4. There is a Galil, there is an R4. Civilians canot buy R4/5/6es easily, so perhaps you are asking about LM4? Galils are available but conditions range from pretty sweet to Czech rebuilts that would require extensive repair just to be classified as deactivated. Sadly, in most cases the people who will check it out for you are the same people selling them. If you cannot know what to look for yourself, best advice is to withdraw from that market and get a new AR instead.

Most ARs are not 223, but 556. If you buy a 223 only AR, do so deliberately. 223 and 556 is only the same caliber until it isnt.

Mounting rails on the dust cover of any Galil or derivative is outside design envelope. You can never do it perfectly, but you can do it expensively. I have worked with systems that are quite comprehensive. Cost of them puts you well into the area of a new high end AR though, and gives you a rifle that looks nothing like the Lord's LM anymore that we had in the Bible.

The only reason to buy and own a Galil, or LM, today, is if you specifically have a hard-on for that gun. I understand it, many of us have that :) . But getting a Galil/LM and then trying to turn it into an AR is just sad and embarrassing.

If you want a military rifle, get an AR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast