Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Using knives for self defence

When the chips are down one doesn't feel the stab wound and one is not sure who is bleeding .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    When the chips are down one doesn't feel the stab wound and one is not sure who is bleeding .
    The stab in my hand hurt a lot and I certainly knew I had been punctured - felt like my hand was being electrocuted, blade in between fingers absolutely in middle - have no feeling one side of one finger. The one I took under chin I felt no eina at all, very cold in that area - thats all. -------------------If any one knows where I can find a Mr Keven Veral -(Verral - Veril), old PE druggie, would like to remind him of some things he done.

Banned

The body's reactions to cuts and stabs differ. I have only ever cut myself so it doesn't count. Reports I read differed: one guy in top physical and mental condition went into shock after a relatively light stab wound to the back. Another was stabbed repeatedly in the back and only realised something was wrong when he felt his own blood running in his pants.

User

Learning to use a knife to inflict serious damage is not hard. A few lessons and some practise will usually do it. This makes a knife a very dangerous weapon.

Defending yourself against a knife is indeed very difficult. No matter how good you are, if you are within reach, you will bleed.

Participating in a fair fight with knives is not very clever. There usually are no winners, only losers.

The purpose of carrying a defensive blade is not to engage a BG with another blade. (That one should have been shot from a good distance away!) The purpose of a defensive blade is to use it where your pistol is not very effective, and that is from very close up, for example when the BG is pressing himself tightly on to you. At these less-than-zero distances a good cut (or 6) with a sharp knife inflicts much more damage than a gunshot will. It is also very difficult for the BG to defend him self against your blade. Whatever he puts in the way of the blade will just bleed better.

See a defensive knife for what it is. It is a specialized tool for specific situations. It can only complement your pistol, never replace it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    ... I collect knives as a hobby and own several, including a couple of Karambit knives, and I was wondering if knives are viable as self defence weapon? ...
    Just remember now that I once did a test with a short blade held karambit style. I was butchering a carcass and cut into a piece of shin whilst it hang from the hook. It is actually difficult to make a proper cut in that fashion!

Given: the angle and distance towards the meat was quite different from a possible real life situation; it was difficult nonetheless. A regular knife with a straight forward cut would have given me better results.

User

I carry a decent fixed blade as part of my EDC not so much for knife fighting (guns work better in knife fights) but for weapon retention if someone spots my firearm and tries to disarm me the blade is to create distance

User

Quote Originally Posted by geopat View Post
    I carry a decent fixed blade as part of my EDC not so much for knife fighting (guns work better in knife fights) but for weapon retention if someone spots my firearm and tries to disarm me the blade is to create distance
    Where do you carry your fixed blade?

User

left side on the hip slightly forward so I can also pull it with my right hand if needed but setup is mainly for left hand use I see my right hand defending/drawing the gun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2