Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: RIP General Denis Earp

One I carry from time to time , the one you worked on is not used often .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

What an interesting man. I must look him up some more. Sounds like a real hero! RIP and Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet vWdVries View Post
    I should also have mentioned he was a 1911 EDC'r. And by EDC I mean ED with capitals.
    Yes well, most people who truly know and appreciate that the 1911 is the finest damn fighting handgun in the world, do!

RIP General. He shot with us in the SAHGA shoots. Even in his eighties he used a .375 for the bushveld table. He has hunted everything but a nice bushbuck ram was still on his bucket list. He was a slightly build man. When we cleaned the shooting range he came with his own spade and refused any help. He was respected tremendously by everyone in our branch for his humble dignity. A huge tree has fallen.

User

Looks like he was the OC 17 Squadron at Waterkloof while I was stationed there.

A Scholar and a gentleman
    Great to have spent some time on the range with him
    R.I.P.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Years ago I employed a school going lad as a relief worker at the office. He was from a single parent home of limited income. Most of his earnings went to keep things at home going. He was determined to become a pilot in the airforce ( specifically Helo). He eventually got in and in the first few weeks due to many demoralizing events not related to ability but to demographics etc he wanted to quit.
    At this time the General used to call me for a social chats about various things. I mentioned the boy to him and the fact that he had lost hope and was thinking of quitting. I thought nothing of this after that.
    I do not know how the General managed to find this boy made contact and gave him a talk and told him not to quit.

This young man went on to get his fixed wing and rota wing went abroad on duty. He decided to further his studies and today is a practicing Advocate.

This is the kind of man the General was.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3