Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Altering 1" rings to fit a 26mm scope

I had it made.

Just a thought. When you start, you may want to shim your rings such that they are at 25.8mm when measured on the vertical so that you don't have to eat away too much material on the rings.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: Altering 1" rings to fit a 26mm scope

So I got down to it this weekend.
    Used 220 grit sandpaper, wrapped it around my 1" lapping rod.
    I fixed the rings onto a base which got put in the vice, separated the halves and worked on the bottom halves first. This kept them both aligned.Kept going by sanding by hand up and down, or rather left to right, right to left, till the set up bottomed out on the lowest section of the rings. Kept changing the paper which was cut into strips and just held by hand around the lapping bar.
    Kept trying and fitting with the scope in the bottom rings till they felt OK.

The top rings were much more difficult but actually didn't take long, less metal to sand off I suppose.Simply held the top ring on the sandpaper on the rod and moved it across multiple times.

At some stage I put the tops crossways in the vice and worked them individually. They've got a lot of spring in them(the top ones)
    so I didn't put too much pressure on them in the vice. The important part seems to be the cutting the very edges where the two halves meet so putting them in the vice like that helped get there quickly. As soon as they fit snugly onto the bar with the paper on it, I put the scope in and tightened up. The tops still had daylight under them, but tightening them up soon pulled them down Ok.
    Luckily the scope is built like a Panzer, (probably the same metal lol) so there was no sign that it was getting crushed, the tops just bent around it like a glove.
    Took the rings off that mount, put them on the rifle, off to the range. I was now shitting myself that the scope's adjustments might not work or that it might slide in the rings. At the range the first two shots were high and left. Dialled in some changes and it was spot on!!! Solid solid. All good , very chuffed.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, gave me the courage to give it a bash, though I thought I might sacrifice a few rings before I got it right. But the sanding didn't take more than about 30 minutes and it's all good.

Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2