User

Default Lynx 6-24x42 holdover

Hi all,
    I did a quick search, but could not find anything. (my Google fu sucks anyway).

I have the scope above on my hunting rifle. I have never used the holdover, because I don't understand how it works.

I've attached a pdf with the instructions that are with the scope.

Can someone please, in layman's terms, explain to me how holdover works.

The rifle is perfectly zeroed at 100m, with 6 magnification, and the front dail set on 100. Now lets say I want to try a 400m shot. How does is practically work?

Thanks Instructions_Hold-over_reticle.pdf

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Lynx 6-24x42 holdover

Hi
    That is a lot of data to remember or to try reference in the field.
    My advice would be as follows:

1 set the scope to 10 power and keep it there. ( my reason for this is that at 10 power the holdovers are following very closely the following minute of angle measurements moa )
    F=1mos
    G=2moa
    h= 4moa
    I=6moa
    J= 8moa
    k= 10 moa
    l=12 moa
    n= 16moa

now you would have to either use a ballistic program or go to the range and test the drop of your load at distances out to where you want to shoot. Once you have this data ( in moa) you can use the appropriate holdover point or interpolate between points if needed.

for example: if you need a total of 12 moa to be on target at 400m you would just use holdover point L
    if you needed 14 moa for a shot at 560m then you would hold between holover n and holdover L
    Once you have your actual setting needed, you can draw up a range card showing the holdovers and the distances next to them. you should check all the data on the range to be sure it is accurate.

Banned

Hawke Optics (free download) calculate the stadia values at different magnifications for their scopes. I do not know if that would be perfectly applicable for other makes.

User

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try. I'm not even sure I can see to 500m without is being on at least 20x

I will have to work it out.

User

Keep in mind that this is a Second Focal Plane scope, so the recticle subtensions will change with any change in magnification. I suggest you calibrate the hold-overs for a specific magnification setting and make very sure the zoom ring is correctly set before each shot at longer ranges.

Lots of shooters zero the rifle and scope at 200m, then compensate for longer ranges. That allows you to make a quick shot out to about 220m by just holding the centre cross on the vitals, without needing to worry about magnification settings etc.

Before anything, you need to know what your bullet drop is in MOA. There are many calculators online that will produce a data table from your load data : bullet weight, BC and velocity. Make sure the chart is in meters.

Look on the table you create to see what MOA drop you have at 400 meters. MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards, and 28mm at 100 meters.

Say the drop table shows 7 MOA drop for 400 meters, that is a reticle distance of 196 mm of drop measured against a distance of 100 meters.

From your manual, @100 meter table, you can see that aim point j at 11 magnification [ close enough ] can be used for 400 meters, or aim point m at 20 magnification.

Point n at 9 magnification lets you compensate for a drop of 20 MOA, which should take you to 650 meters with a 308 168gr A-MAX, but at 9 magnification it's not great to have.

The @200, 300, 400 tables there needs a brain much sharper than mine to work with.

You'll notice that having the scope at the wrong magnification will produce clear misses even at shorter range, so my suggestion is to lock your magnification ring at one magnification, and become familiar with the drop of your load at different ranges, for that magnification.

You will not be able to make the correct adjustments in the field using variable magnification, so stick to one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Hawke Optics (free download) calculate the stadia values at different magnifications for their scopes. I do not know if that would be perfectly applicable for other makes.
    http://life.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-x-...le-calculator/

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Before anything, you need to know what your bullet drop is in MOA. There are many calculators online that will produce a data table from your load data : bullet weight, BC and velocity. Make sure the chart is in meters.

Look on the table you create to see what MOA drop you have at 400 meters. MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards, and 28mm at 100 meters.

Say the drop table shows 7 MOA drop for 400 meters, that is a reticle distance of 196 mm of drop measured against a distance of 100 meters.

From your manual, @100 meter table, you can see that aim point j at 11 magnification [ close enough ] can be used for 400 meters, or aim point m at 20 magnification.

Point n at 9 magnification lets you compensate for a drop of 20 MOA, which should take you to 650 meters with a 308 168gr A-MAX, but at 9 magnification it's not great to have.
    Thanks for this. Now I'm actually starting to understand how the table works.