Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Kudu. Extreme Sports.

@driepootx. They were aware of me, the photo was taken from my front stoep, we don't hunt close to our houses and animals behave entirely different in these areas than they do on the rest of the reserve. Our kudu cows, not being hunted, are very tame anyway.

@BBT. Yes, a very young bull.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Old dry cows, fattened up because they are not productive anymore, reach around 100kg (dressed out) in my area. Younger and still productive cows would likely weigh in around 80kg, but we don't shoot them intentionally. Anybody who does manage to bag a pregnant cow will be dealt with in a harsh manner...
    And the problem is that Kudu is not calving in a specific season but all year around. So we also don't hunt Kudu cows as a normal procedure. She might be pregnant or even have a small calf hiding somewhere that is not weaned as yet. To control their numbers make shooting a few now and then necessary. We then shoot late winter (better chance for small calves to survive) and select the oldest ones. They are relatively easy to identify with long and dark faces, ears have tears in them and a darker and more curly hair appearance. They are also high on the hooves and not in excellent condition as their teeth are worn by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    high on the hooves
    Thanks for summarising features to look for as great to add to the knowledge base Adoons. May I ask what high on the hoof means?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2