Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 6.5mm Hunting bullet. VLR4 - GS HV - Barnes LRX

Good morning.
    I am looking for some input on this matter, hopefully I can find someone that has experience with these bullets.
    I have a 24'' 6.5mm Creedmoor and at the moment I am hunting with Peregrine VLR4 118gr at 2750fps. Recently I had 2 bad incidents that made me wonder if there is something better out there. Mostly I hunt between 200 and 350m. Success stories are: Blue wildebeest up to 260m, Gemsbok at 290m and Waterbuck at similar range.

I am now investigating 3 other points: 124gr VLR4, GS Custom HV 121gr bullet and Barnes LRX 127gr point.
    The GS is a drive band bullet with higher velocity compared to the others, but I have seen comments on bigger grouping.

So at longer distance accuracy is very important, but I would like to know which of these bullets have the highest killing capacity.
    It might be that they are all similar, I am not sure?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

User

Default Re: 6.5mm Hunting bullet. VLR4 - GS HV - Barnes LRX

What "bad incidents" are we talking about?

Also, you seem to be focused completely on monolithic bullets. If your problem is related to overpenetration or a lack of internal damage, why not look at more conventional, but still premium hunting bullets like a 130gr Accubond? If you're focused on long-range still, they also now make an Accubond Long Range, with a 142gr, 0.315 G7 BC option.

I know about the Accubonds. I used them on a 243 and 30-06. They do create a big exit wound.

My dad shot a Blue wildebeest at 240 on the shoulder. I expected the mono to go through but it deflected by 90 deg to the front. We lost it.
    I know this is not the best placement, but I think it is worth asking the question if I can improve on my ammunition. If not, then I stay with the VLR4

User

Part of me just wonders if a 118gr bullet isn't perhaps just a little light for the application you're describing...

User

Maybe it's a dumb question, but if you lost the animal how do you know the bullet deflected 90º to the front? It doesn't sound like something bullets do. It would definitely break the blade. It might not penetrate deep enough or head elsewhere from there, but I'm almost completely sure a bullet doesn't change path like that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Part of me just wonders if a 118gr bullet isn't perhaps just a little light for the application you're describing...
    Nee man daai needmoors skiet mos alles betterder dood.

I have had good results with the VLR4 but I have not shot hundreds of animals with them. I have killed a lot of animals with the older VRG4 and think that the VLR4 is a better bullet. I really do not see any of the other bullets you mentioned giving measurably better results.

You mentioned 2 bad incidents, what was the second one?

The 6.5 mm's are marginal for Blue wildebeest even with the best of bullets.

Toxxyc's question is valid, did you recover the wildebeest?

I have seen bullets (different makes) deflect very badly, so it certainly is not impossible. However, when it does happen it is a freak occurrence.

I think you expect too much from a 120gr. bullet at 2 750fps on a tough animal out at 250m.

Perhaps the Hornady ELD-X 143gr. may well be a better proposition at circa 2 700fps, or the Accubond as mentioned.

For reference a 180gr. Accubond in a 30-06 at circa 2 650 fps on the shoulder of a BWB at 200m does not go through and rests under the skin on the opposite shoulder. This is considerably more fire power than you were throwing at your BWB.

Regarding meat damage. I cannot concur, my go to bullets in 3 calibers are Accubonds as in my experience they are meat friendly (as compared with Sierra's). Again it is about shot placement, if you shoot for the shoulder or heart you are going to destroy one of the shoulders. If you shoot back of that to clip the lungs then small hole through the one side and a slightly bigger one through the other side is what you will get.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I think you expect too much from a 120gr. bullet at 2 750fps on a tough animal out at 250m.

Perhaps the Hornady ELD-X 143gr. may well be a better proposition at circa 2 700fps, or the Accubond as mentioned.

F
    I would not use the ELD-X on blue wildebeest or any large animal. The 118gr Peregrine and 120 GMX out penetrate the Accubond by a considerable margin in 6.5mm and while the wound channel is somewhat smaller it is adequate.

I shot a young blue wildebeest bull with a 120 gr GMX yesterday, he was angling away and the bullet entered behind the shoulder and excited on the opposite shoulder. Range was 330m and he went down within 50m.

I followed the wounded animal for a half day but could not get close enough. The next afternoon we found it. The bullet did a 90 deg turn out the front. I have never seen this.

I shot a Gemsbok, standing at a slight angle, at 290m just above the shoulder bone. The bullet went right through the animal out the back rib cage. The farmer was so impressed with the penetration that he wanted to know what bullet I use. The next day my dad shot the Blue wildebeest with my rifle.

I never aim for that spot and stay clear from the big shoulder bone. In my view there is more meat damage and you have shattered bone in the meat.

The bullet has about 2300fps at that distance that should be enough especially since they do not breakup thereby retaining there momentum. Mono's are lighter so you cannot judge it on the 118gr.

On the Peregrine I can go to the 124gr. I also have some margin on the speed and can increase it by 150 fps.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast