Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Default Re: 6.5mm Hunting bullet. VLR4 - GS HV - Barnes LRX

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I work with Ron Thomsons brother. I will ask him what Ron used. As I understand he has shot around 5000 ele. I think a lot will be 308 FAL if I guess.
    Generally Rangers have to use a minimum caliber as prescribed by the Park. This is also to ensure that when questions are asked that Rangers were adequately armed. In the Kruger I believe the standard issue is a .458. Could never figure out why the field rangers only get an R1.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Maybe a reminder why certain calibers need to be use when hunting certain game species...here is a good reason why the hunter should pay attention in regards to mistakes done in the past ;

After Sweden adopted the 6.5x55 and having had first hand experience with the 6.5x52 Carcano, Austrian designer Ferdinand Ritter Von Mannlicher went on to design both the 6.5x54 cartridge and Mannlicher rifle, adopted by the Austrian and Greek military in 1900 (1900-1940). The sporting version of this rifle was released in 1903 in the form of the famous Mannlicher Schoenauer. A true carbine at just 6 and a half pounds and 38 inches (97cm) overall, the smooth feeding Mannlicher is a highly sought after rifle today. From the short 17" barrel the 6.5x54 fired a 160 grain bullet at a velocity of 2330fps. The Mannlicher Schoenauer became an instant hit with European hunters and was a favorite of Walter Bell who used 160 grain solid projectiles on a great number of Elephant. The success of the Mannlicher Schoenauer was attributed to the rifle’s quality - giving outstanding accuracy along with low recoil. From 1910 the Mannlicher Schoenauer was sold fitted with a scope which aided accuracy further.

Unfortunately, accuracy aside, many hunters died using the 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer in Africa after being gored by wounded dangerous game. Unless the CNS was struck directly, the 6.5x54 produced slow kills on dangerous game.

The 6.5 Creedmoor hunters need to keep in mind a Blue wildebeest can be devastating when wounded ...much like an elephant wanting to revenge bad shot placement done by hunters who used the Mannlicher Schoenauer to hunt elephants since Bell did it ..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I work with Ron Thomsons brother. I will ask him what Ron used. As I understand he has shot around 5000 ele. I think a lot will be 308 FAL if I guess.
    Your guess is spot on!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9