Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Carry condition on various guns

Hi
    From my understanding the two main options i see is striker fired carrying one up like a glock, and something like a 1911 one up cocked and locked, what i would like to understand is why does it have to be this way beside being single action and ready? If dropped would the hammer be the cause or the actual firing pin moving with inertia that causes it to fire? If you had a 1911 with a fpb would you then still be required to carry it the same way or could you carry it with the hammer down? I assume all this depends on each firearm as it depends on the design so if we use the 1911 as the example what are safest options for carry with a fpb? Options based on safe carry and not for speed in a sticky situation. Also assuming thumb safety on in all cases.

Default Re: Carry condition on various guns

Why would you want to carry a single action pistol with the hammer down on a loaded chamber?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

If the firing pin does not pretrude and rest on the primer then wouldnt it be just the same as a revolver? A heavier trigger in single action can be abit safer when the adrenaline is pumping? Im not trying to prove any point here im just trying to see the differences

User

Quote Originally Posted by keru01 View Post
    If the firing pin does not pretrude and rest on the primer then wouldnt it be just the same as a revolver? A heavier trigger in single action can be abit safer when the adrenaline is pumping? Im not trying to prove any point here im just trying to see the differences
    Single action is just that. You don’t get a long first pul as it does not exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can pull all you like on a single action trigger with the hammer down. It's not going to do anything, except hurt your finger.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

My error when typing the reply i meant double action, so basically have one in the chamber, decocked so you have a double action trigger.. what would be the reason not to carry in this method over others stated

User

My error when typing the reply i meant double action, so basically have one in the chamber, decocked so you have a double action trigger.. what would be the reason not to carry in this method over others stated
    You basically get striker fire(ex. Glock), single action(ex. 1911), double action only and DA/SA which has the option of a longer first trigger pull with the hammer down such as the CZ P07.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

User

A 1911 is single action only, so what you describe is not applicable to it (and other single action guns).

DA/SA guns with a decocker are made to carry hammer down.
    DA/SA guns without a decocker are... different. You can carry them hammer down (as long as you can carefully lower the hammer on the loaded chamber) or cocked and locked.
    DA only guns are just that.

User

Reading more and posting less comes to mind.
    You have not done enough reading on how a firearm operates and this results in your confusion.

The hammer needs to be cocked before it fires
    Double Action trigger cocks the hammer before firing it.

In simpler terms if you are "pulling" the trigger and the hammer moves back before firing you have a double action trigger. One action is cocking and one action is firing.

Modern day revolvers are double action and they can be fired in single action by manually cocking the hammer.

Single action "pulling" the trigger results in the hammer dropping.
    1911s are single action only.

User

Your firearm selection was wrong. A 1911 is SAO.

My p01 does not have safety. It has a decocker.
    First shot double action thereafter single shots.
    I carry 1up decocked. It has a fbp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast