Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hunting Weekend recipe Ideas

Hello All,

I am pretty sure that most of you do not go for the fully catered option at hunting lodges, but hey, I might be wrong in my assumptions with regards to the levels of disposable income levels.

Anyway, here is the question.

I am interested in knowing what you guys have for food make during hunting weekends.

Do you prepare a menu in advance or do you just hack it as the weekend goes along?

If you do have a menu worked out, would you mind sharing it on the forum or PM. I am fresh out of ideas for our annual hunting trip and hence I am trying to see what you guys eat so I can get some fresh ideas.

Bring it on guys, inspire me!

Default Re: Hunting Weekend recipe Ideas

Breakfast:

Krummelpap (this does not translate well):
    2 cups of coarse mealie meal, 1.25 cups of water, 1 teaspoon salt. Bring water to boil, add meal, stir through, and keep on low heat for 45min to 1 hour, stirring it through every 15 to 20 minutes.

Saucy peri-peri chicken livers:

750gr chicken livers, 1 onion, 1 large bottle of Nando’s Hot peri-peri sauce, 500ml cream.
    Start grilling chicken livers in a pan (or your cadac for best results), once they start going firm, break them up with your spatula (you eventually want a kind of coarsely minced chicken livers.) Once nice and hot, add the cream and allow to simmer.
    Glaze the finely chopped onion elsewhere.
    Once the livers are cooked through, add the contents of the bottle of peri-peri sauce and the fried onion, allow the whole mixture to regain heat.

Serve chicken liver mixture over the pap.

You may want to add a touch more cream (or maybe milk) as the pap tends to absorb much of the moisture and make it a bit dry.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Hand food seems to work.

1. Lots of wors. Packs well for lunch. Or just pack an extra pack in a small cooler bag and a grid for lunch braai in the veld.
    2. Skilpaadjies. Make extra in the evening and if they survive till morning they work great as breakfast.
    3. Ouma rusks and Nescafe coffee packs.
    4. Droewors packs well for snacks during the day.
    5. Oranges also work very well as snacks in the field.

Mostly wing the rest. Just wing more volume than usual.

Life lesson #76: It is OK to not finish all the booze and food you packed for the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Hart, liver, kidneys cut into strips and chopped onion fried in olive oil till cooked. Salt to taste.
    Make a sweet sour sauce with water, brown vinegar and sugar. Use maizena to thicken and add to liver. Leave to simmer.

Serve on home baked bread. (500g self raising flour / .5 teaspoon salt / 30ml sugar / 1 egg / 340ml beer)

Two minute noodles work for "gap filler".

Survivor mix fruit and nut packs. (With yogurt) (Breakfast)

I personally don't eat droe wors or biltong while out in the veld. Makes one thirsty.

User

When shooting from a bakkie it does not matter, since mostly people return to camp sometime to eat.
    When hunting on foot either eat bacon and eggs, or avoid breakfast, since pap will only raise your blood sugar level unnecessary and that will either make you hungry again soon or lead to a crash when you don’t have time to eat again. I mostly just get up and go, breakfast is the most overrated meal of the day.

Things you carry with you, make sure they are high in fat, low in carbs and sugar, giving you a slow energy release with a more consistent metabolism.

For lunch you are not going to eat your belly full, that will just make you sleepy, you can do that when camping but not for hunting.

Hence, you basically just want to cater for big meals during dinner time, and dinner is just personal preference. We like to braai one night, potjie the next etc, keeping it different. When planning your big meals, dinner it is.

So our plans is similar to some mentioned.

Coffee and rusks 1st thing, some chaps have a cereal or oats but I'm more like Messor here.

After morning hunt we aim to be back in camp around 11:00 - big brunch fry up. A diced mix of bacon, mushrooms, onions, Nandos peri peri for a little spice plus eggs and porkies or wors depending.

Some chaps have a roll for lunch around 14:30 just before afternoon hunt commences.

Dinners are always around the fire, with the usual suspects (lamb chops, wors, chicken pieces / flatties, pork chops, skilpaatjies, duk steaks sliced - see tenderloins below) and some veg sides or braai broodjies.

If we manage to salvage kidneys, heart liver these will be added to mid morning brunch. Liver & heart cut into strips dipped in egg, lightly rolled in some seasoned flour and flash fried so crispy but pink in the middle. Kidney goes into mix mentioned above.

Inside tenderloins also eaten as a starter off the fire, seared and then lightly seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

Potjie alway a firm favorite for 1 night. Either lamb, beef or a chicken casserole type dish on the fire.

We have been adventurous and done mince tacos before which are very lekker plus living in Durbs we have fish quite often done either on the fire in tinfoil or similiar to the way we do liver on the stove top.

User

I plan out a full menu, brunch and dinner daily. Snacks for your own account.

Then we get there and times and hungers and rules and plans go out the window and we make whatever the hell we want whenever the hell we want. Last day before leaving you realize you're out of food and you have to take a drive to the nearest town to pick up more food and ice because drinks are no longer cold and drinking a warm Coke when you get out of the veld isn't too lekker anymore.

User

Braai in the evening leftover braai in the morning braai in the afternoon. might add some chicken to the braai if i feel like a salad. Biltong and droewors for the veld.

@Toxxyc, would you mind sharing some of the menu's you have planned. would love to look at them.

thank you guys. it is pretty much what we are doing as well.

@Grobbie, wrt to the life lesson #76. I do agree on the drinks part, but I have not given up on the supreme accomplishment of leaving the hunting grounds with zero or next to zero of the foodstuffs we brought along.

Makes for more space to bring meat back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast