Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Spices for drywors

Coriander: 1 teaspoon coriander seeds = 1 1 /4 teaspoons ground coriander
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ops View Post
    I made over the weekend some drywors just with store bought mince using the Vleisland recipe. I roasted the coriander and crushed it in my pestle and mortar and used 3/4 of the recommended coriander and used 60% of the salt as Andrew recommended. Will see how it turns out. I did fry up a piece of drywors in the pan but obviously it lacked some salt and extra fat but really enjoyed it after adding some salt over the top.

I am thinking of using ground coriander instead of roasted whole coriander, as I've never enjoyed biting into the pieces of coriander. Any idea how much ground coriander to add per kilo of meat. Seeing as ground coriander will be much more potent than whole coriander I was guessing the same as the ground cloves at 1.5g per kg of meat?

Will update on how the drywors came out.
    Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if store bought ground coriander is pre roasted so I mine and then grind in a spice mill. Spice mill one of my favourite gifts from my Mrs!

User

Some more feedback, tasted some of the drywors, not salty enough to my liking. I only added 10g of salt per kg of meat and coriander is to overpowering.

Next round will be recommended salt of 16.25g per kg and 3 grams of ground roasted coriander per kg of meat. Will be making boerewors and drywors again.

First have to get through the current batch, which isn't to bad.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7