Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Spices for drywors

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    I've used this recipe and its tasty.
    Attachment 30434
    Ok DaavG.

Did 6kg of venison boerewors tonight using your recipe. Family is not wild about venison boerewors hence the small qty. Cooked a small pattie as a tester and it is perfect, absolutely perfect. Great recipe, none of that sh!t they put in these packet spices. The flavour of the meat is preserved.

I used 25% brisket fat by the way.

So tomorrow will be doing 26kg of venison droewors with the same recipe. I WILL be using water as the mixture is difficult to mix without. The water dries very quickly so I am not concerned about that.

Proportionately there is more spice mix by volume when compared to the commercial spices but they are more subtle. The old people knew what they were doing.

Thanks for sharing.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Did you adapt the amount of salt, Andrew?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Did you adapt the amount of salt, Andrew?
    Nah, it was spot on, I stand humbled.

I hate under seasoned food, the health orientated folk may wish to back off a tad (Maroelas noted this). What does concern me is that for boerewors it was perfect, after the circa 50% moisture loss to get to droewors, I think the salt content may be more pronounced. I have mixed the entire batch of spice already so no way back now. Will keep with the original recipe.

If the saltiness intensifies I would give feedback.

User

Thanks Andrew. I reallly don't like the premix spices, they always include artificial stuff or preservatives. This seems very close to a recipe I neglected to copy in Nam a decade ago, whjch yielded excellent wors.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Nah, it was spot on, I stand humbled.

I hate under seasoned food, the health orientated folk may wish to back off a tad (Maroelas noted this). What does concern me is that for boerewors it was perfect, after the circa 50% moisture loss to get to droewors, I think the salt content may be more pronounced. I have mixed the entire batch of spice already so no way back now. Will keep with the original recipe.

If the saltiness intensifies I would give feedback.
    How strong is the coriander flavour in the recipe Andrew ? I am not a big fan and always put less in than required.

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ops View Post
    How strong is the coriander flavour in the recipe Andrew ? I am not a big fan and always put less in than required.
    I like coriander so would not have noticed if it was a tad heavy.

I would say that it was neutral. Looking at the volumes it is half the amount of the salt and salt can be overpowering.

I am informed (true ot not) that what makes boerewors / drywors so different to other sausages in the world is that they contain coriander. Apparently unique to us.

I ALWAYS cook up a small patty and scoff that to get an idea of where we are on the spices. Perhaps back off on the coriander and if not offensive add until you like.

User

Ok DaavG.

Did 6kg of venison boerewors tonight using your recipe. Family is not wild about venison boerewors hence the small qty. Cooked a small pattie as a tester and it is perfect, absolutely perfect. Great recipe, none of that sh!t they put in these packet spices. The flavour of the meat is preserved.

I used 25% brisket fat by the way.

So tomorrow will be doing 26kg of venison droewors with the same recipe. I WILL be using water as the mixture is difficult to mix without. The water dries very quickly so I am not concerned about that.

Proportionately there is more spice mix by volume when compared to the commercial spices but they are more subtle. The old people knew what they were doing.

Thanks for sharing.
    Hi Andrew, glad to hear that you've enjoyed it. If you are on the Book of Faces, I got the recipe from this page: VLEISLAND se Maklike Resepte.

Stefan runs a butchery in Namibia and this is his recipe, so all credit to him. The page has some good useful posts.

I am interested to hear how the droewors turns out re saltiness.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Thanks Andrew. I reallly don't like the premix spices, they always include artificial stuff or preservatives. This seems very close to a recipe I neglected to copy in Nam a decade ago, whjch yielded excellent wors.
    Pirate, this recipe comes from a Namibian butchery so could be the same.

User

I like coriander so would not have noticed if it was a tad heavy.

I would say that it was neutral. Looking at the volumes it is half the amount of the salt and salt can be overpowering.

I am informed (true ot not) that what makes boerewors / drywors so different to other sausages in the world is that they contain coriander. Apparently unique to us.

I ALWAYS cook up a small patty and scoff that to get an idea of where we are on the spices. Perhaps back off on the coriander and if not offensive add until you like.
    Thanks Andrew, I make my own droewors and boerewors this side of the pond as a bit of a hobby.

I use Crown Spices, thus far I have used the following spices. For boerewors I have used "Ouma se boerewors" but the coriander is way to overpowering for me, not the greatest of fans, hence looking to mix my own spice.

For droewors I have used Safari drywors mix and Crown National drywors mix, the latter tastes better.

I do the same by frying a patty and sampling, but have found that it just tastes better on the braai than in a pan.

User

I also take it that the pepper in this recipe is just ground whole black pepper and not fine black pepper?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast