Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shooting through a door

So i have this damn home invasion scenario that's been bouncing around my kop for a few weeks now, and i would like some opinions as to what you guys think.
    As a background, i have layers of security on the exterior and strong front door security gate. The way my house is designed is it is literally impossible to separate the living areas and bedrooms with an interior gate - the bedrooms surround the living areas. I am strongly considering adding a security gate to one of the bedrooms as a safe room. There are multiple toddlers and a wife floating around in there.
    The scenario that plays out (there was one down the road recently, which got the ball rolling here) with a loud bang as the driveway gate gets ripped off by a car, roboguards start beeping, and i hear the guys crow barring the security gate (always locked).
    I gather the family and we duck into a bedroom and lock the door just as they kick in the front door.
    Now what? All the cool shit to steal is freely available, no resistance from me hiding in the room, but regardless they start kicking in the bedroom door.
    What can i do?
    I would never want to wait for them to kick in the door and multiple BGs enter the room together and i have to try and defend. My concern is that I start shooting through the door when they are clearly breaking it (no Oscar scenario, family with me), and then the po po want to arrest me or the prosecutor has a go because it is pre-preemptive.
    Now to me, the attack is way past imminent, and i have already exercised the duty to retreat if safe to do so. Its obvious they want to hurt/kill me, as there is nothing of value in the bedroom and clearly no reason to try and enter - laptops, tv, car keys the works are all in the rest of the house.
    Pre-emptive to me would be prior to the start of an attack, not action taken once an attack has started. But obviously that is just my opinion.
    What action would you take in this scenario, and how do you think the law will view shooting the perps through the bedroom door?

User

Default Re: Shooting through a door

or you shoot through the door and find you have taken out your domestic or neighbour who have run through during the chaos when the BG were on the way out

Internal security gate, so they have to get the door off, plus you get to see what you just put 17 rounds into

Truth be told, anyone who enters your home (not property) should be seen legally as holding intent, but obviously that would be a perfect world and DOES NOT apply to south africa

Didnt see your 2nd response - agreed.
    We have rehearsed a few times, holing up in the room that i think is the easiest to defend, windows high off the ground, etc.
    Only thing that is stopping the strong room thing is the cost - had a look a while back and it was R20K excl. installation!
    I know thats a lot cheaper than moving to a security estate (and still no guarantees) or the legal fees for self defense, but eish!

User

A friend has built two (spaced) 3mm mild steel plates into a normal internal door, for his "safe room". The plates each have a 50 x 50mm hole at eye level. The inside panel is marked with a small + where the holes are. A hidden CCTV camera and small screen may be a good addition.

That was the quote for the door and frame

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Truth be told, anyone who enters your home (not property) should be seen legally as holding intent, but obviously that would be a perfect world and DOES NOT apply to south africa
    The State of Texas assumes anyone that invades an abode has evil intent lethal force is both appropriate and recommended. Activate the claymores.

User

that being said maybe google the incidents where people have shot through doors in RSA

i believe the last citizen saw the guys coming up the stairs, shot through the door when the handle was jiggled, only to realise after that in the panic/adrenaline his daughter wasnt in the room with him.

User

you should have a strong room
    you and the family should have the procedure rehearsed to a capital T
    you should have the means to defend in case of a breech.

my strong room goes as this:

upstairs (bedroom)
    passage stairs security gate
    safe in my "strong room" gives me access to 9mm ammo, 12 guage with various ammo, ak47 with alot of ammo
    panic button for security
    good comms/signal wifi etc
    will be adding the CCTV to this as well

get a room dedicated to your above scenario and get the family involved and aware of their respective roles
    i.e) in rhodesia farm attacks the husband would have his FAL, the wife a uzi or commando, kids trained in reloading and passing mags. yes i know this is extreme

I hear you - no domestic - most likely unintended would be be a reaction officer. The issue is the door would still be closed even if there was a security gate on the bedroom door so if they break that, and start on the door, same issue. Remember, i literally cannot have an internal gate, as there is no passageway.
    Maybe a cheap PTZ webcam would solve the issue, nice to have anyway - then can also safely say i identified targets first :)
    Its driving me mad - I like to have a plan in place for possible scenarios.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MRJT View Post
    I hear you - no domestic - most likely unintended would be be a reaction officer. The issue is the door would still be closed even if there was a security gate on the bedroom door so if they break that, and start on the door, same issue. Remember, i literally cannot have an internal gate, as there is no passageway.
    Maybe a cheap PTZ webcam would solve the issue, nice to have anyway - then can also safely say i identified targets first :)
    Its driving me mad - I like to have a plan in place for possible scenarios.
    no what i mean is

have the shitty hollow core door (everyone uses them) and have the security gate inside of that (on the bedroom side of the door)
    so it goes shitty door, security gate, bedroom

you dont need a fort knox gate, whoever quoted you 20k is taking the piss

Keep this in mind, if bad guys want in, THEY ARE GOING TO GET IN. its your job 1) to make it as difficult as possible or 2) make your neighbours the more attractive target by out doing their exterior lights and security

and semi decent fabricator can knock you up a solid gate that buys you enough time before lethal force becomes necessity

keep in mind your proficiency, you cant be shooting through doors anyways, i think unless you have them shooting in at you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast