Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: DIY BULLET-RESISTANT DOOR

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    Watch this video. Will stop a handguns but not rifle rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL7xGGryAMQ
    Thanks. The OP refers:

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    It should ideally be able to withstand multiple hits from 7.62x51.
    The idea behind using multiple thinner layers, as opposed to an equivalent thicker barrier, is that it is more effective, especially in conjunction with other complimentary materials.
    Last edited by StanCT; 25-05-2019 at 14:03. Reason: gremer

User

I like the idea of AR500 in terms of strength vs weight but have not yet found a vendor to determine cost.
    PM me - I'll put you in touch

User

Quote Originally Posted by HitMan_ View Post
    PM me - I'll put you in touch
    Thank you HM - that's a great help!

User

Thank you HM - that's a great help!
    Stan, contact MacSteel. The last time they had VRN500 steel plates, according to them 7 mm will be able to withstand multiple 223 hits without damage (223 is more prone to damaging plates due to their higher speed).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Stan, contact MacSteel. The last time they had VRN500 steel plates, according to them 7 mm will be able to withstand multiple 223 hits without damage (223 is more prone to damaging plates due to their higher speed).

Any kids in the house? Just worried about amputated fingers with such a heavy door.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Any kids in the house? Just worried about amputated fingers with such a heavy door.
    No, but good point ... Lol!

User

What is the furthest you can stand from the door, while shooting at it? If it is very close then I would think that the schrapnell will be a big problem and would the shooter be stupid enough to shoot more than once. Spalling will be the biggest problem on the inside of the door. Are you not seriously over designing the door? It would be nice if you can do duplicate the bank window design where it sprays glass shards back at the shooter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What is the furthest you can stand from the door, while shooting at it? If it is very close then I would think that the schrapnell will be a big problem and would the shooter be stupid enough to shoot more than once. Spalling will be the biggest problem on the inside of the door. Are you not seriously over designing the door? It would be nice if you can do duplicate the bank window design where it sprays glass shards back at the shooter.
    The furthest that any shooter could stand from the outside of the doorway will be about 20 meters away, on the other side of the road.

Whoever might be shooting will certainly be on the outside, a BG on public property, and will most likely not know that the door/gate is armored - certainly not initially.

The door/gate is being designed to ensure that whatever projectile may try to come through, stays on the other side.

This doorway is not part of my house, but as mentioned earlier, is the primary entry/exit point to my property, down a short passageway (funnel of death) at the side of my garages.

At which point does something like this become "overdesigned"? And I do need to be mindful of that, but I would certainly not wish for it to be underdesigned, especially not in hindsight
    Last edited by StanCT; 26-05-2019 at 20:32. Reason: correction

User

You now have me wondering about who or why someone would be shooting at the pedestrian gate facing the street with a 7.62x51 rifle? Especially if they can't see what is on the other side. But we live in the "peacefull" SA, so nothing is impossible...

From shooting steel plates on various ranges, I have seen that 8mm VRN500 gongs seem to withstand lots of hits from various hot loads up to 300 Mag. The bullets with the most potential to damage steel targets are JHP match bullets. FMJ's do less damage. Those armour piercing AK bullets are another matter...

Since I am not very likely to be standing behind the front gate while a bunch of BG's are peppering it with an LMG, I would make it sturdy, but not to the same level as an armoured vehicle or safe room door. Something like two 3mm mild steel plates spaced apart by a 50mm square tubing frame would likely be pretty good. If you fill the space between the plates with course sand or fine crusher stone, it will be even better, but also quite heavy. This may also cost quite a bit less than a single VRN500 plate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast