Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: DIY BULLET-RESISTANT DOOR

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I would suggest a strong mix of concrete sandwiched between the two plates of steel with a single layer of fine steel mesh inset into the centre of the concrete.
    I don't think a bullet will penetrate that and it's not gonna cost a packet. But use smaller stones for the concrete
    This is what I would do too.

Something like AR500 or Hardox would stop rifle bullets if its thick enough but it will cost you a packet.

I would personally get something like 100x100 square pipe to build the frame from, and weld 2 x 1,6mm steel sheets to either side. Fill both frame and space with high strength concrete. It will be very heavy and you'll probably have to open and close it using several sets of rollers running on a steel tramline set itself into a concrete foundation.

That said I think something like that will provde a huge amount of ballistic protection for the least amount of money.

Another viable idea is to check out scrapyards for tipper truck bodies etc. Some parts of them are made from Hardox and it is very tough. I bought some such offcuts once and had a nice surprise when I tried to drill the plate and all my tips got blunted. If you can pick up some cheap ass 6-8mm of hardox at a scrap yard you could probably get away with (thumbsuck) about 12mm to resist rifle fire. I'd still put a space in the door and a backing plate in case something made it through; you don't want to be hit by the spall.

The company doing armour plating is SSAB; if you're very serious about this maybe they can help you out with proper advice. They make Armox which is reputed to be incredible stuff (incredibly expensive too).

User

https://instagram.com/greatdoorcompa...d=475mzxueuxo5

Just got an ad on IG for that company which reminded me of this thread. Some interesting designs.
    #noaffiliation

User

thnx HTZ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4